Chettinad Vengaya Kosu is a flavourful spicy gravy that is typical of Chettinad cuisine. This gravy is made with just two basic spices and takes just 15 minutes to prepare. Vegetables like onion, tomatoes and potatoes are used for this dish.
However, I often make it with onions and tomatoes and sometimes even with tomatoes alone and it tastes fantastic.You can refrigerate this dish and it stays good for upto 3 days. It is a perfect match for Biryani, phulkas, ghee chapatti and also ven Pongal.
Chettinadu Vengaya Kosu :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1 large Onion ( sliced thinly )
2 tomatoes ( finely chopped)
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
Pinch of turmeric powder
salt to taste
For the ground masala:
5 to 6 dry red chillies ( adjust according to the heat of the chillies)
2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/4 cup chopped fresh coconut
1. Heat a pan and dry roast red chillies and fennel seeds till just fragrant.
2. Cool and grind it along with coconut and little water to a smooth paste .
3. Heat a pan with oil and temper with fennel seeds and curry leaves.
4. Add the sliced onions and tomatoes.
5. Add turmeric powder and salt.
6. Mix well and let them cook in low flame till the tomotoes become soft and mushy.
7. Add 1 cup of water to the mixture.
8. Now add the ground masala and mix well.
9. Let the gravy come to a boil.
TIP: If the gravy becomes too thick, you can add some more water and bring it to boil.
10. Switch off.
11. You can garnish with chopped cilantro/mint leaves if you like. You can also add roasted cashewnuts as garnish.
Your delicious Vengaya Kosu is ready to be served along with Pongal, Rice or Flatbreads.
Happy Cooking !