"Pongalo Pongal" to all of you . May happiness pour in abundance to all my dear readers.
On this auspicious day of Pongal, the harvest festival , I am sharing a healthy low calorie pongal recipe .
Making the Oats Pongal is very easy. It hardly takes 15 minutes to prepare this dish. You can serve this Pongal with Kathirikkai Gotsu/Gostu , Chettinad Vengaya Kosu or Coconut Chutney.
Oats Pongal :
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 2
1 cup = 250 ml
1/2 cup uncooked oats
1/2 cup moong dal/ husked and split green gram( boiled)
1 teaspoon ghee/clarified butter
1 teaspoon oil
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 " ginger ( finely chopped)
1 green chillies ( finely chopped,optional)
1 teaspoon black pepper corns ( crushed coarsely using pestle and mortar)
1 & 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds ( crushed coarsely using pestle and mortar)
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
1. In a wide pan, dry roast the oats till it becomes fragrant.
Note: Do not brown the oats. Keep continuously stirring to avoid burning and uniform roasting of oats.
2. Add 2 cups of water and let the oats cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Now add the cooked moong dal and salt.
TIP: You can add a teaspoon of oil along the sides of the pan.
Note: I cooked the moong dal with 1 cup of water and 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric.
4. Let them cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Switch off.
5. In a small pan, add the oil+ghee .
6. Now add the ginger, peppercorns, green chillies, cuminseeds and curry leaves. It will sizzle. Switch off.
7. Pour this into the prepared oat-moongdal and mix well.
Your hot Oats Pongal is ready to be served. I served it with Kathirikka/Brinjal Gotsu.
Try other Pongal/Sankranti Special recipes too.
Happy Cooking !