I am sharing an interesting Indian -Thai fusion starter/appetiser for your parties and get togethers. Combining the popular and high protein Andhra Pesarattu/Spiced Lentil Crepe along with Sriracha marinated pan roasted Tofu . Served hot , this spicy appetiser can add a lot of zing to special days .
Sriracha Pesarattu Pops :
Preparation time : 3 hours
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves : 10-15
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Special Equipment/Vessel : Tooth picks, Tawa/Crepe pan, medium size pan ( to fry the tofu)
2 large onions ( finely chopped)
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
Oil for greasing
For the Pesarattu/ Lentil Crepe batter :
2 cups split green gram
1/4 cup raw rice/uncooked rice
1" fresh ginger
2-3 cloves garlic
2-3 green chillies ( adjust according to the heat of the chilli)
salt to taste
For the marination :
Note: You can use cottage cheese/paneer instead of tofu.
200 gms of Tofu ( cubed)
2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
2 tablespoons cornflour (starch)
1 teaspoon tomato ketchup ( optional)
2 teaspoons oil
For garnish :
Sliced fresh fruits of your choice
Note: You can refer to 'Pesarattu' recipe for stepwise pictures on making the lentil crepe.
1. Wash and soak the green gram , rice along with ginger, garlic and chilli for a minimum of 3 hours.
2. Grind it to a smooth batter consistency.
Tip: Add little water while grinding and the consistency of the batter should have a 'pouring consistency' just like pan cake/dosa batter.
3. In a bowl add the sriracha sauce, tomato ketchup , corn flour and coat the cubed tofu the mixture.
4. Close the bowl and allow it to marinate for 4 hours.
Tip: You can marinate the tofu when you soak the green gram.
5. Heat a medium size pan with oil and shallow fry the marinated tofu till they are browned uniformly on all sides. Set it aside.
6. To make the Pesarattu/crepe - Heat a tawa and grease it with little oil.
Tip: You can use a tissue paper/brush to remove excess oil from the pan.
7. When the tawa is just hot, pour a ladle of batter in the centre and move the ladle in concentric circle movement to make a circle.
8. Sprinkle lots of finely chopped onions, chopped cilantro on top. Gently press them with the ladle.
9. Spoon little oil on the sides of the Pesarattu.
10. Cook on both sides of the Pesarattu.
11. Remove from the tawa and repeat the same procedure for the rest of the batter.
Tip: Do not crisp the Pesarattu as it will break when rolling. We need soft pliable crepes.
12. To serve, roll the crepe tightly and cut them into smaller pieces.
13. Place the pan fried tofu on top and garnish with olives .
14. Insert toothpick and arrange them in the serving plate.
Your starter is ready . Serve them with green chutney or tomato sauce . I am sending this fusion starter to Sonal's Superbowl Party !!
Tips for serving :
You can prepare crepes before hand and also fry the marinated tofu .
Just before serving, heat them in a pan or microwave, roll , garnish and serve hot.
Happy Cooking !