Kathirikkai Gotsu/Gostu is an interesting side dish for Upma ( especially rice upma) or Ven Pongal . 'Kathirikkai' is a tamil word for brinjal/aubergine. I have fond memories of this dish as my grandmother used to make this dish very frequently . Large brinjal/aubergine variety is used for making this Gotsu. They are fire roasted and cooked in a tamarind water. The speciality of this dish is that only whole spices are used. It hardly takes any time to cook this traditional recipe.
You can also try Onion sambar, Hotelstyle Tiffin sambar or Chettinad Venkaya Kosu if you are looking for side dishes for Pongal, Upma or other South Indian breakfast dishes.
TamBrahm Style Kathirikkai Gotsu | Brinjal Gostu :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Serves : 4
1 large brinjal
1 small lemon size ball of tamarind ( soak in 1 cup warm water and extra juice, discard pulp)
5-6 dry red chillies (adjust according to the heat of the chillies)
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
3/4 teaspoon bengal gram/channa dal
3/4 teaspoon urad dal/husked and split black gram
1 sprig curry leaves(adjust )
2 teaspoons oil
salt to taste
1. Wash and pat dry a brinjal.
2. Grease the brinjal with oil.
3. Roast it directly on low flame, holding the crown of the brinjal. Roast it uniformly on all sides.This step will take 5-7 minutes.
TIP:To check whether the brinjal is cooked properly, insert a fork . You can feel that the fork effortlessy pierces the brinjal.
4. Peel and mash the brinjal.
TIP: Usually this brinjal variety does not have any seeds. Incase of little seeds, you can remove them.
5. Heat oil in a pan and add the dals, mustard seeds, red chillies and curry leaves.
6. When dals turn light brown and mustard seeds splutter, add the tamarind juice.
Note: You can use tamarind paste also. Dilute 2 teaspoon of thick paste in 1 cup of water and use.
7. Let the tamarind juice boil for 5-7 minutes. This step is to ensure that there is no raw taste in the tamarind.
8. Add another cup of water and add the mashed brinjal.
9. Let them boil for 6-7 minutes ,switch off. Your Gotsu/Gostu is ready .
TIP: You can add extra water if you feel that the gravy is too thick and allow it to boil for few more minutes.
I served it along with Oats Pongal. A delicious, simple authentic side dish ready in minutes !
Try other Pongal/Sankranti Special Recipes too.