This is a Tamilnadu ( South India) special recipe. Rice is the staple in Southern India and various spice powders are prepared to be mixed with rice like the Puliodarai Podi, Curry leaf Podi etc., 'Podi'is the tamil word for 'powder' and the dish gets this name due to it's dry and crumbly texture. In this recipe, Potato is parboiled along with their jackets , grated and mixed with dry spices to give it a crumbly texture. This Podi tastes great when mixed with steaming hot rice and ghee. An interesting variation that you can try when you are thinking of a dish with potatoes.
Recipe : Mrs. Chandra Padmanabhan
Urulaikizhangu Podi | Potato Podi :
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Special Equipment/vessel: Mixer, wok/pan , ladle
Note: When Boiling the potatoes, do not boil them too soft , else it will be difficult to grate them.
2 large Potatoes
1 teaspoon sesame oil
To roast and ground :
1 tablespoon sesame oil
6-7 dried red chillies ( adjust according to the heat of chillies)
2 tablespoon channa dal/kadala paruppu
2 tablespoon urad dal/ullutham paruppu
1 tablespoon tuvar dal/arhar dal
pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
1. Boil the potatoes along with the skin.
2. Peel the potatoes and grate them .
3. In a medium size pan, heat oil and over low flame fry all the ingredients given under'to roast and ground' .
4. Fry till the lentils/dal turn golden and chillies fragrant.
5. Switch off, cool and grind them to a fine powder along with salt .
6. Place pan on low heat and add the ground spice powder.
7. Add the grated potato and mix well.
8. Add one teaspoon oil along the sides of the pan.
9. Keep stirring and cook on low flame for another 2 minutes.
10. Switch off.
Your Urulaikizhangu Podi is ready to be served along with rice. I always heat a teaspoon of ghee in a small ladle and pour it over the rice and podi. Mix and enjoy .You can also have it as a curry/sidedish.