' Sherva' or 'Shorba' is a tangy, spicy and a delicious side dish for Biryani and Pulavs. It is often served along with Hyderabadi Dum Biryani.
Juicy tomatoes are pan roasted along with whole spices and are ground to a fine paste. They are then cooked over low flame to bring out the flavours. Vegetable stock and yoghurt is often added to enhance the taste. A perfect accompaniment to your 'One Pot Meal'.
Sherva | Shorba :
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
4 tomatoes ( roughly chopped)
1 onion ( roughly chopped)
2 long green chillies
4-5 garlic pods (grated)
1/2 " ginger ( roughly chopped)
1 bay leaf
2 green cardamoms
1 star anise
1/4" cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder
a pinch of turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 tablespoon fresh curd/yoghurt( whisked)
1 cup vegetable stock or water
1 tablespoon ghee/clarified butter
2 teaspoons oil
salt to taste
For tempering :
1 teaspoon oil
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
Mint leaves ( finely chopped)
- Take a thick bottom pan and heat two teaspoons of oil.
- Add all the whole spices and cook over low flame till they turn fragrant.
- Now add the ginger, garlic, green chillies , chopped tomatoes and onion.
- Cook them over low flame till they become soft. Switch off.
- Cool and grind the mixture to a fine paste.
- Heat the pan with ghee over low flame and add the ground paste.
- Add one cup of vegetable stock or water and salt .
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala powder and let the mixture simmer for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally. Adjust the water quantity if required.
- Add the whisked yoghurt, mix and with one boil switch off.
- Heat a small ladle/pan with oil and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds sizzle, switch off and temper the sherva.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves.
Chef Tips :
1.You can also use readymade ginger garlic paste.
2. You can use only onions or tomatoes.
3. Adjust spices according to your palate.
Your flavourful Sherva is ready to be served along with Biryani or other Rice dishes.