'Bedmi Puri' is a popular and everyday breakfast in the North. For those who haven't heard of these puris, they are basically made using whole wheat flour and lentils. These puris are spicy and with masala infused in the dough. The texture of the Puri is a little rough due to the addition of semolina. The puris are slightly bigger in size than the regular 'atta puris' . They are simply delicious and are generally enjoyed along with ' Puri- Aloo'.
Just like packaged wheat flour, you get 'Bedmi Puri Atta' in the local grocery stores in North India, but many make it at home by soaking and grinding the urad dal /husked black gram. You can also prepare the Bedmi Flour at home, store it in an air tight container and use it upto a month.
Bedmi Puri :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup =250 ml
Special Vessel : Using Iron Karahi/wok gives the best texture and flavour to the puris
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup husked black gram /urad dal
1 tablespoon sooji/semolina
2 dry red chillies
1/8 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1 teaspoon coriander seeds/dhania
1 teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
oil to fry
1. Heat a pan and dry roast the urad dal till it turns fragrant.
2.Transfer it to a plate and allow it to cool.
3. In the same pan, dry roast dry red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds separately and allow it to cool.
4. Grind the above to a fine powder.
5. In a bowl add the grounded powder, whole wheat flour, semolina, salt and two teaspoons of hot oil ( kept for frying ) and mix well.
6. Add water little by little and make a stiff dough.
7. Heat oil for frying in a wok/karahi.
8. Grease the work surface with few drops of oil and pull out a small portion of the dough.
9. Make a smooth ball using your palms .
10. Using your rolling pin, roll them out into medium size circles.
11. Gently slide them into the hot oil and see the puris beautifully puffing up.
12. Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the batch.
Serve the Puri with North Indian Style Puri -Aloo and enjoy the delicious breakfast!
Happy Cooking !