"Godumai Dosai" is an instant dosa recipe that is commonly prepared in most Tamil homes. As the dosa is prepared with whole wheat flour and requires no overnight fermentation, it is a handy recipe. Whole Wheat Flour is rich in fibre, making this a high fibre dosa recipe.
Roti: North India :: Godumai Dosa : South India.
There is a general misconception that cooking Godumai Dosa requires lots of oil . Seasoning the tawa properly, maintaining the temperature of the griddle and the right consistency of the batter yields tasty dosas without much oil.
As it is my husband's favourite dosa and requires no preparation, I make it very often. A small tip (from my experience) - this dosa is addictive and tempting. So, be prepared to make a larger batch of the batter !
Godumai Dosai | Wheat Wheat Flour Crepes from Tamilnadu :
Preparation time : 1 hour
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Yield : 15 Dosai
Special Vessel : Tawa/Pancake Skillet/griddle
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Note : Finely chop the onions and green chillies ( I used a vegetable chopper to cut it finelyand uniformly)
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups butter milk
1/2 cup water ( approximately)
2 onions ( finely chopped)
1 green chilli ( finely chopped)
small bunch cilantro (finely chopped)
1 sprig curry leaves ( tear roughly)
salt to taste
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1. Mix wheat flour and buttermilk without any lumps.
Tip: Use your hand or handwhisk to make it lump free. Mix till you get a silky smooth texture.
2. Add salt and allow the batter to rest for one to two hours.
3. Now add the finely chopped onions, chillies, cilantro and curry leaves. Mix the batter and adjust the water quantity.
Tip: Add water little by little . The batter should not be too thick or too thin.
4. Heat a tawa and brush the tawa with oil using a brush or a half cut onion.
5. When the tawa is hot, pour one ladle of batter in the centre of the tawa.
6. Spread the batter in a circular motion just like regular dosa or pancake.
Tip: Cook the dosa in low flame for best texture and colour.
7. Spread little oil on the sides of the dosa.
8. Cover the dosa with a lid and cook for a minute.
9. Open, flip and cook the other side( uncovered) . This will take less than half a minute.
10. Remove the dosa and continue the same same steps for the rest of the batter.
Serve these dosas hot along with a Kongunadu Tomato Kurma or your choice of chutneys.
I made a special Instant Thakkali Kuzhambu for this dosa. You can serve Godumai Dosa with Coconut Chutney or Kara Chutney . They pair so well with this dosai.
Happy Cooking !