Whole Wheat Flour is high in fibre and helps in controlling our blood sugar levels. Including Whole grains in our diet such as the Wheat is a healthy dietary decision. Many of us avoid taking rice at night and are always in need of quick, healthy and tasty recipes .
I have used Whole Wheat Flour or 'Chakki Atta' ( stone ground wheat flour), as it is locally called to make this Idli. Serve these healthy Idlis along with your choice of chutneys, sambar or Idli Milagai Podi.
Instant Whole Wheat Idli :
Preparation time : 40 minutes
Cooking time : 15-20 minutes
Serves : 2
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Special Vessel: Idli Plates , Steamer or Pressure Cooker
1 cup Chakki Atta ( Whole Wheat Flour)
1 cup + 2 tablespoons butter milk
pinch of turmeric powder ( optional)
1/2 teaspoon fruit salt
1 teaspoon sesame oil to grease the Idli Plates
salt to taste
For tempering :
2 teaspoons ghee/clarified butter
1/2 teaspoon channa dal/ split bengal gram
1/2 teaspoon jeera /cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon coarsely crushed peppercorns
5-6 cashew nuts ( broken roughly)
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
1 green chilli ( finely chopped)
1. Heat a pan over low heat and dry roast the wheat flour till they turn fragrant.
Tip: Keep stirring continuously to avoid burning.
2. Transfer the flour to a another vessel and allow it to cool.
3. Heat the pan again with ghee and add the ingredients given under ' tempering' in the order given and set it aside.
4. Add buttermilk to the flour and using a hand whisk , mix without any lumps.
5. Add the tempering to the batter and mix well.
6. Add salt ( just a little) and allow the batter to rest for 20-30 minutes. In the meantime, grease the Idli Plates.
Tip: The batter should be just like rice idli batter consistency ( thick, yet smooth).
7. Add fruit salt and mix. The batter will become light and fluffy.
8. Spoon the batter into each plate and steam the Idlis for 15 -20 minutes.
9. Switch off .
10. Once cool, remove the idlis using a spoon and serve them along with sambar or chutney. I served it along with Instant Thakkali Kuzhambu .
You can also try my Godumai Idli (with fermentation) recipe. For other tiffin options, you can try these recipes.
Happy Cooking !