Lachha Parathas are flaky, multi layered unleavened flatbreads that are popular in restaurant menus. Though many feel that it is laborious to make it at home, with the right cooking technique, it can actually be a lot of fun.
It is a myth that you need to use copious amounts of ghee to get soft Lachha Parathas. We can do so using less oil .
Pudina Lachhas are favourite at home and so I have used fresh pudina leaves in the dough. You can make it with plain wheat flour also.
Lachha Paratha with Pudina :
Preparation time : 45 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Yield : 5-6 medium size laccha parathas
1 cup = 250 ml cup
For the dough:
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons of oil
20-25 mint leaves/pudina ( finely chopped)
water ( adjust)
salt to taste
For greasing the Lachha :
2 teaspoons of oil
1. Add the whole wheat flour, mint leaves, salt in a bowl and mix well.
2. Add water little by little and make a soft dough.
3. Grease your hands with little oil and knead the dough for atleast 10 minutes.
Tip: Kneading helps to get soft lacchas. You should get a smooth and soft dough.
4. Cover the bowl with a lid/ cling film /moist cloth and allow the dough to rest for 35-40 minutes.
5. After resting the dough, divide them into equal portions and shape them into balls.
6. Lightly dust the work place and roll out one ball into a thin circle.
Tip: Try to roll out as thin as possible.
7. Using a brush, grease the rolled out portion with oil.
8. Dust flour on top of the oil.
9. Now start fan folding the rolled out dough.
10. Coil the folded dough to form a small circle.
11. Tuck in the loose end. Press gently with your greased hand.
Tip: You can also apply oil using the brush.
12. Dust little flour on the top of the oil.
13. Roll the dough into a circle.
14. Heat a tawa/griddle and pan fry the parathas till they have cooked uniformly on both sides.
Repeat the process for the rest of the dough.
15. You can pat the lachha at the edges with your palms to make it more flakier.
Serve the Lachha with pickle, your choice of curry and fresh onions. I served them with homemade turmeric pickle , curd and onions.
Happy Cooking !