We all know that a side dish using potatoes are perfect match for poori/puri ( puffed Indian bread). But potatoes are so versatile that it can be used in so many different ways. Potato masala is served along with puri across India. But the way they are cooked is completely different. One dish that we enjoy as a family whenever we dine out is 'Aloo-Puri' . Bedmi Puri is served along with a tangy, spicy and slightly watery gravy. No onions and garlic is used in the recipe. If you are pressed for time, you can even pressure cook the recipe. An simple side dish that is a staple across North India.
If you haven't yet tried this combination with your Puri, then you know what to make for breakfast tomorrow. They taste great with Roti and regular Atta puri also.
A must try!
North Indian Style Aloo Puri | Aloo Sabzi for Puri :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
4 large tomatoes
2 potatoes ( peeled , boiled and roughly chopped)
2 green chillies ( slit lengthwise)
2 teaspoons oil
1 teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder ( adjust according to your taste)
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
2 tablespoons curd ( whisked well without lumps)
pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
1 teaspoon ghee/clarified butter ( OR oil)
1/2 teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
For garnish :
Finely chopped cilantro
1. Crush the tomatoes with your hands and try to bring out the juices as much as you can.
Tip: This is an important step. Crushing the tomatoes with hand brings out more flavour to the dish than using a food processor or mixer.
2. Heat oil in a pan or karahi/wok over low flame and add the green chillies , mix .
3. Now add the crushed tomatoes .
4. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and stir to mix.
5. Cook in low flame and let the tomatoes become completely mushy.
6. Now add 1 & 1/2 cups of water , salt , cover and cook for 5 minutes in medium flame.
Note : You can adjust the water consistency according to the number of people you are going to serve.
7. Now, add the boiled potatoes , asafoetida, garam masala and cook covered for another 5 -6 minutes.
8. When the potatoes have blended well with the tomato gravy, add the well whisked curd and mix well and switch off.
9. Garnish the sabzi with the chopped cilantro.
10. Heat a ladle with ghee and add the cumin seeds and temper the Aloo Sabzi.
Your delicious North Indian Style Aloo Sabzi is ready to be served!
If you are looking for more easy side dishes, you can try Instant Tomato Kuzhambu , Kara Chutney, Chettinad Vengaya Kosu, Restaurant Style Mixed Vegetable Curry.
Happy Cooking !