I had shared with you all that I had made a Spicy Instant Tomato Chutney - Thakkali Kuzhambu as a side dish for Godumai Dosai. A quick and easy side dish for Instant Dosai/Idli /Upma or even Chapathi.
Takes less than 5 minutes of preparation time and 10 minutes of cooking time. All you need is fresh tomatoes.
A simple and handy recipe !
Thakkali Kuzhambu | Instant Thakkali Chutney :
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serves : 4
Special Equipment : Mixer
4 large tomatoes ( Nattu Thakkali ( rounder variety) is best for this recipe )
3 dry red chillies ( adjust according to the heat of chillies)
1 teaspoon toor dal/arhar dal/pigeon peas (optional, I omitted )
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek powder
1 garlic pod ( optional)
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds(you can also use sesame seeds, flax seeds, melon seeds, cumin seeds)
1/2 teaspoon husked and split black gram / split urad dal
1 sprig curry leaves ( tear roughly)
1. Soak the dal , red chillies and garlic in a bowl for 10 -15 minutes.
2. Grind the above ingredients along with the tomatoes to a fine puree'/paste.
Tip: I added a half teaspoon of jeera /cumin seeds .
3. Heat oil in a medium size pan or wok and add all the ingredients given under ' for tempering'.
4. Once the seeds splutter, add the tomato mixture. You can add water ( 1/4 cup , optional).
5. Add salt and let the mixture cook for 7-9 minutes or till the time the tomatoes change colour and the oil separates on the side of the pan.
Serve along with your tiffin.
Happy Cooking !