"Hummus' is a popular dip/chutney in the Lebanese Cuisine and is now equally popular in India. While the name is new to us, Garbanzo beans/Kabuli Channa is a familiar ingredient that we use in our daily cooking and so it's quite easy to make this dip. It is a tasty and healthy spread for your bread, rotis and an easy dip for your salads and toasts. With just a few healthy ingredients , your dip is ready in minutes!!
Hummus | Lebanese Hummus :
Preparation time : 6 hours ( includes the soaking time )
Cooking time : 5 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup =250 ml cup
Special Equipment/Vessel : Food processor/Mixie/Blender
Note : I have not used Tahini/sesame seed paste, instead used sesame oil and toasted seeds.
1 cup Kabuli Channa/garbanzo beans
1 green chilli
1 small lemon
1-2 garlic pods
1 teaspoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds/til ( white)
rock salt to taste
For garnish :
finely chopped parsley/mint/cilantro
a pinch of red chilli powder ( optional) mixed with 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
1. Wash the garbanzo beans and soak the it overnight or for six hours.
2. Drain and pressure cook the beans with approximately one cup water for 4-5 whistles.
Note : Adjust the water quantity. Water has to cover the beans to prevent it from burning.
3. Once cool, drain the excess water and transfer the beans to a food processor.
4. Add the lemon juice , garlic, green chilli, oil , salt and blend it to a smooth paste.
5. Transfer the hummus to a serving bowl.
6. Heat a small ladle and toast the sesame seeds till they are light golden. Add it to the hummus and mix well.
7. Garnish and serve along with your toasted Pita bread or Lebanese Wraps .
Chef Tips :
1. I have used spice according to our taste preference. You can adjust the quantity according to your requirements.
2. You can use olive oil instead of sesame oil too.
3. You can use regular salt instead of rock salt.
4. You can add fresh herbs of your choice or completely omit the same.
Happy Cooking !