Mini Idli Manchurian is a quick , easy and healthy recipe that can be served as party starters , tea time snacks or even packed for kid's lunch box. Idlis are made from fermented rice and lentil batter . They are marinated with spices and is pan fried to make it lightly crisp. They are then tossed along with sauteed vegetables . Mini Idlis look attractive and this tasty dish is loved by children. You can make this manchurian with left over idlis too. A gluten free dish with less oil and plenty of fresh vegetables, this recipe is too tempting to try !
Mini Idli Manchurian :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Special Vessel : Mini Idli plates
3 cups of Idli batter
2 onions ( finely chopped)
1 capsicum ( finely chopped)
1 carrot ( finely chopped)
2 tomatoes ( finely chopped)
2 green chillies ( finely chopped)
2 garlic pods (grated)
1/2 " ginger piece ( grated)
1 teaspoon tomato ketchup
1 teaspoon sesame oil ( to grease the idli plates)
salt to taste
For marination :
2 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon light soya sauce (optional)
For tempering :
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon sesame oil
For garnish :
finely chopped spring onion greens
1. Grease the idli plates, spoon the batter and steam them for 10-15 minutes.
2. Allow them to cool completely and remove the idlis using a spoon.
3. In a wide bowl, mix the idlis with spice powder, sesame oil and soya sauce ( if using).
4. Let it sit/rest for at least 10 minutes.
5. Heat a wide pan over low flame and add the marinated idlis.
6. Fry them for 5 -7 minutes on low flame or till the time they are lightly crisp on the outside.
7. Transfer the idlis to another vessel/plate.
8. Heat the pan over low flame with one teaspoon oil and temper with sesame seeds.
9. When the seeds splutter, add the grated ginger, garlic,green chillies and mix.
10. Now add the finely chopped onions, salt and cook till they turn pink.
11. Add the finely chopped tomatoes and cook them over medium flame till they turn mushy.
12. Add the carrots, capsicum and stir fry over high flame for just one minute.
13. Reduce the flame, add the pan fried idlis, tomato ketchup, stir well to mix and switch off.
14. Garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot.
1. You can add vegetables of your choice.
2. Adjust spice according to your taste preference.
3. If you want to avoid tomato ketchup, add 1/4 teaspoon of sugar while cooking the vegetables.
4. For the idlis to remain crisp, add them just before serving .
5. If you are using left over idlis from refrigerator, thaw them before marinating .
6. You can marinate the idlis for upto an hour.
Happy Cooking !