Buckwheat flour/Kuttu flour is a gluten free flour and is rich in flavanoids. High in magnesium, it has many other health benefits and is a wonderful alternative to those who are gluten intolerant and also to those who want to avoid taking rice. Making the dosa involves minimal effort and ingredients.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serves : 2
NOTE : No fermentation required. This is an instant Dosa Recipe. Let the batter rest for half an hour.
Vessel required : A Tawa /Skillet
1/2 Cup Hulled Buckwheat Flour/Kuttu Flour
1 teaspoon coarsely crushed Cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon coarsely crushed Peppercorns
1 tablespoon fresh coconut puree(optional)
Rock Salt/Sendha Namak to taste
Grated ginger , finely chopped chillies and cilantro ( optional)
1 teaspoon Oil to grease the tava
1. In a bowl add all the dry ingredients.
2. Add water little by little and make a batter that is medium thick ( just like regular pancake/dosa batter)
3. Grind few pieces of fresh coconut to a smooth paste by adding little water and add it to the batter. Mix well. And let the batter sit for 30 minutes.
4. Heat a Skillet/tava and pour a ladle of the batter in the centre. using the ladle spread out the batter just the way you make regular dosa or pan cake.
5. Flip and cook on the other side also.
6. You can add the grated ginger garlic cilantro if you like.
Your Kuttu Dosas are ready !!
Chef Tips :
1. Kuttu Flour has no particular taste of it's own. Adding coconut and other vegetables add to the flavour.
2. Since the flour is fibrous, do remember to drink plenty of water .
3. Also take adequate curd/buttermilk to cool your system.
4. I like to use Organic hulled buckwheat flour , but you can also use the regular one.
5. You can substitute buttermilk instead of water to make the batter, but keep it thick.
Happy Cooking !