Gooseberry/Amla/Nellikai is believed to be the 'fruit of life'. It is a jade-green tart fruit and is ubiquitous in India. Filled with so many healing properties and immunity boosting vitamins, it is most ideal to add Amla/Gooseberry to our diet on a regular basis. I had earlier shared 'Nellikai Rasam' which was so much loved by all readers. Many of you have tried and posted pictures. Thank you so much.
Here is another delicious recipe using Amla, that is perfect for this season. You can enjoy this pickle with rice and ghee , rotis or parathas or can have it along with your curd rice.
Nellikai Thokku | Gooseberry Relish | South Indian Style Amla Pickle:
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time : 25-30 minutes
Serves : 20
1 cup =250 ml cup
Storage : keeps good for upto a month when refrigerated
5 large gooseberries/Nellikai/Amla
3 tablespoons red chilli powder ( I added 1/2 teaspoon extra )
1/2 teaspoon methi powder/fenugreek powder
salt to taste
For tempering :
1/3 cup sesame oil ( 5 tablespoons )
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
pinch of asafoetida ( optional)
1. Boil the gooseberries over the stove till they are tender ( approximately 10 minutes ) or pressure cook with 1/2 cup water for 3 whistles .
2. Drain water, remove the seeds from the gooseberry and mash it using a wooden masher or your hands.
3. Heat a kadai/wok with oil over low flame.
4. Temper with mustard seeds and asafoetida.
5. Add the mashed gooseberry, salt, fenugreek powder and chilli powder.
6. Mix well and let them cook over low flame till all the excess water is evaporated and the oil separates on the sides( This will take 7-8 minutes).
Note: Cook in low flame only. Keep stirring at regular intervals .
1. Use a clean and dry container/jar/bottle to store the pickle.
2. Use a clean and dry spoon every time you use the pickle.
3. Keep the pickle refrigerated.
Have you tried