Panagam/Panakam is a very traditional South Indian drink especially offered as neivedyam on the auspicious day of Ram Navami every year. The Panakam is a sweet drink of Jaggery water mixed along with special spices like dry ginger , cardamom and black pepper. This special drink is tasty as well as filled with health benefits. Jaggery is rich in iron and other minerals and the spices that are added helps to cool our body from the harsh summer . The drink is believed to relieve stress and body fatigue and also keep our body hydrated. Panagam is often served to guests (warm) after pooja recitation as it is soothing for the throat . The Panagam can be served warm or chilled. Do try this traditional drink this summer.
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Serves : 4-6
Special Equipment/Vessel : large vessel, strainer
1 cup Jaggery ( powdered)
4 cups water
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Spice Mix :
1 " piece of dry ginger
4-5 green cardamom
7-8 black peppercorns or 1" piece of thippili/pipli
1. Mix jaggery with water and filter for any impurities.
2. Powder the spice mix coarsely using mortar and pestle.
3. Heat the jaggery water over low flame and add the spice mix.
4. Keep stirring for 5-7 minutes and switch off.
5. Squeeze lemon juice and allow the Panagam to cool.
6. You can serve them warm or can chill the panagam and serve it after an hour.
Chef Tips :
1. You can increase the sweetness by adjusting the quantity of jaggery.
2. You can adjust the water quantity according to the sweetness of the jaggery you are using.
3. You can add/reduce the quantity of spice mix according to your taste preference.
4. You can also omit lemon juice as many like it without it.
5. You can add fresh herbs like Tulsi /Holy Basil , Pudina/mint but it will change the authentic flavour of Panagam.
Looking for more natural cooler recipes?
Check out :
Happy Cooking !