The 'Schezwan Sauce' is a popular name in Indo Chinese Cuisine. It is a spicy sauce that imparts it's unique flavour to Indo Chinese dishes like noodles, fried rice and is even enjoyed as a dip/chutney. Indo Chinese Food is so popular in India and there are plenty of variations in making the dishes. The name 'Schezwan' is because of the Sichuan peppers , that are used in making this sauce. If you can find them in your part of the country, do use them in the recipe.
I always like to use less or completely avoid any kind of preservatives in my dishes. In fact that's the main healthy advantage of making these dishes at home. An amazing and handy sauce recipe for you to plan a perfect Oriental Meal, the Indian way.
Schezwan Sauce :
Preparation time :15 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serves : 4-6
Special Vessel : Medium size pan/ wok
Storage : it keeps good for 3-4 days when refrigerated
6 dry red chillies ( kashmiri red chillies gives a good natural colour)
5 garlic pods
1 large onion( halved)
2 large ripe tomatoes
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon white pepper powder ( optional)
1/4 teaspoon sugar
salt to taste
1. Boil 1 cup of water and add the tomatoes, onion, red chillies and garlic pod.
Note : Bring the water to rolling boil.
2. Switch off and let it soak for 15 minutes.
3. Remove the soaked ingredients and grind it to a smooth paste.
4. Heat a medium size pan with sesame oil and add the ground mixture.
5. Add sugar and salt and over low flame let the mixture cook till the oil separates.
Note: Cover and cook the schezwan sauce as it will splutter.
Chef Tips :
1. In case you want to use the sauce as a dip for dimsums or momos, then you can grind only the chillies and garlic , add sesame oil and tomato ketchup. Mix and serve.
2. You can also heat a pan with sesame oil, stir fry finely chopped garlic ( 1 pod) and shallots ( 3-4) and then add the chilli garlic paste.
You can refer to my Schezwan Manchurian Burger Recipe for the same.
If you are looking for more Indo Chinese dishes , you can try Hakka Noodles, Burnt Garlic Rice, Vegetable Fried Rice and Vegetable Manchurian and Tofu in Hot Garlic Sauce Recipes.
Happy Cooking !