'Dhokla' is a Gujarati Speciality dish that is made from fermented lentil batter or rice . It is a protein rich tasty breakfast or tea time snack. I have earlier shared Palak Dhokla recipe Moong Dhokla recipe and Instant Rice Dhokla recipe. But today, I am sharing an instant 'no fermentation' and almost 'no cook ' dhokla recipe made using readymade bread.
This can be served in room temperature or even better - chilled ! During summers, bread dries out of very fast. This dhokla recipe turns the bread into a delightful sponge that bursts with flavours. Simple and tasty breakfast /tea time snack /tiffin box recipe.
Bread Dhokla |Sandwich Dhokla | Instant Bread Dhokla :
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 2 minutes
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Serves : 4
6 jumbo bread slices OR 12 regular bread slices
For the yoghurt spread :
500 ml yoghurt ( slightly sour is better)
1 teaspoon sugar(adjust)
1/4 teaspoon salt (adjust)
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
handful of cilantro leaves ( roughly chopped)
Coconut Layer ( to be ground) :
1/4 cup grated coconut
1-2 green chillies
For tempering :
2 teaspoons oil (I used sesame)
1/2 teaspoon mustard oil
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon channa dal/split bengal gram
2 green chillies ( finely chopped)
For garnish :
freshly grated coconut
finely chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1. Place a muslin cloth inside a colander and pour the yoghurt into the cloth. Allow it to stand for 30 minutes so that the excess water in the yoghurt drains ( whey).
Tip: You can also use a size large tea strainer to drain the whey.
2. Add sugar, salt, chilli powder, cilantro and whisk well.
Tip: Keep it refrigerated till you prepare the bread.
3. Ground coconut and chillies for the coconut layer.
4. Cut the corners of the bread .
5. Spoon the prepared yoghurt on top of the bread and spread well.
6. Place another bread on top and spoon the yoghurt mix.
7. Now, sprinkle a layer of coconut chilli mixture and place another bread on top of this layer.
8. Spoon the yoghurt mixture again and spread it uniformly.
Tip: I used only three bread slices ( per batch )to make the dhokla as it is a convenient size to prepare and serve.
9. Cover the sides also with the yoghurt mix.
10. Repeat the same for the other 3 batches ( if using regular size of bread) and garnish with fresh coconut and cilantro.
11. Heat a small pan with oil and temper with mustard, cumin , dal and green chillies. Switch off.
12. Pour the tempering uniformly on top of all the prepared bread dhoklas. Slice them and serve.
13. You can serve it immediately or can keep it refrigerated for a few hours and serve.
Chef Tips :
1. Two day old bread works best for this recipe.
2. If you are using fresh bread, then place the bread slices on a plate /newspaper ( in open ) or keep it refrigerated for 30 minutes.
3. Removing the excess water (whey) is an important step, else the bread will turn soggy.
4. If you are using wheat bread/multigrain bread which are more softer than white bread, drying them out is important and you can use thicker yoghurt ( strain the yoghurt for upto an hour)
5. Since it is summer, the yoghurt had turned little sour while staining them, so I did not use lime juice . If your yoghurt is not sour, you can use 1/2 teaspoon of lime juice.
6. Adjust salt and sugar according to your taste.
7. Do not add too much of yoghurt in each layer, else the bread might turn soggy.
8. Gently spread the yoghurt on the bread.
Happy Cooking !