Mexican Style Tortilla wraps is popularly known as 'Burritos'. Commonly, bean rice, lots of vegetables (baked,steamed or raw) is part of the filling making it a wholesome meal. I have given an Indian twist to this Mexican dish. I used wheat flour rotis and stuffed them with Chole and Palak Chawal( garbanzo beans and spinach rice) . Topped it with loads of freshly cut onions, tomatoes and sour cream spread. Yummy and sumptuous!
You can use ready made wheat flour/corn/flour tortillas or make your flatbreads.You can assemble the burritos for lunch/ dinner or even make it for your get togethers or pack them for lunch box.
Desi Burrito | Garbanzo Bean and Spinach Burrito :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
1 cup = 250ml cup
Serves : 6
6 wheat flour tortillas/rotis
For the rice :
2 cups basmati rice ( cooked)
1/2 cup garbanzo beans /kabuli channa ( soaked for 6 hours and pressure cooked upto 3 whistles , drain and set aside)
1 cup spinach ( chopped and blanched)
2 green chillies ( slit length wise)
1/2 " ginger ( grated)
2 garlic pods( grated)
2 small bay leaves
1 star anise
1 black cardamom
1 teaspoon chole masala ( or garam masala)
2 teaspoons ghee ( clarified butter) OR oil
salt to taste
For the sour cream :
2 cups yoghurt
large pinch cumin powder /jeera powder
finely chopped cilantro
salt to taste
For the Vegetables :
Note : You can add bell peppers, cucumber, fresh herbs of your choice.
1 large onion ( thinly sliced)
roughly chopped cilantro
To make Chole and Palak Rice :
1. Heat a pan with ghee/oil and add the whole spices, ginger, garlic, green chillies and cook them over low flame for a minute .
2. Now add the beans, spinach, salt and chole masala.
3. Mix well and cook till the excess water is absorbed.
4. Add the cooked rice and mix well.
5.Switch off and set it aside.
Note : Soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes before cooking. The proportion for rice: water that I used is 1: 3/4 . As an alternative method, you can make the masala and add it to the soaked rice and cook them together too.
To make the sour cream :
1. Place a muslin cloth on top of a vessel/colander and pour the yoghurt on the cloth. Allow the whey to filter for 20 minutes.
2. Whisk the cream and add the salt , cumin powder and freshly chopped cilantro.
Assemble the Burrito :
1. Take a tortilla/roti and place the onions at one end, spoon rice and more vegetables, top it with the sour cream.
2. Tightly roll the tortilla and wrap with foil or fasten with a tooth pick.
Your burritos are ready !
You can serve them with sauce or green chutney !
Chef Tips :
1. You can substitute garbanzo beans with any other beans.
2. You can flavour the sour cream according to your taste preference.
3. Make the tortilla and rice in advance and assemble the burritos just before eating.
4. Use a large size tortilla to roll comfortably.
Happy Cooking !