'Sundal' is a popular evening snack in South India, especially Tamilnadu. Different types of whole grains /legumes and lentils are used to make sundal. The most common among them are the chick peas sundal and green gram sundal. During the nine days of navratri, nine different varieties of sundal and payasam are offered as neivedyam/prashad. The legumes are first soaked in water for few hours and then pressure cooked till tender. They are then flavoured with the masala mix and tempered before serving.
Whole grains and legumes are rich in fibre and protein. Including them in our daily diet is a healthy choice.
Kondakadalai Sundal ( TamilNadu Style Masala Chana Sundal):
Preparation time : 8 hours
Cooking time : 35 minutes
Special Equipment/Vessel : pressure cooker
1 cup chick peas ( kabuli chana)
1/4 cup fresh coconut (grated)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
salt (to taste)
For tempering :
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon split black gram /urad dal
1/2 teaspoon Bengal gram /channa dal
1 sprig curry leaves
3-4 green chillies (finely chopped)
1.Soak chick peas for eight hours, drain the excess water and pressure cook
with just half cup of water and pinch of salt.
2. Heat a kadai/wok/pan with oil and temper with mustard seeds,channa dal,
urad dal and green chillies .
3. When the mustard seeds splutter add the cooked chick peas ( after
draining the excess water).
4. Now add the turmeric powder, red Chilli
Powder chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
5. Mix well and allow it to cook for five minutes in low flame.
6. Switch off , add the grated coconut , mix well and serve.
Your kondakadalai sundal is ready !
Chef Tips :
1. Boiling the chickpeas with just enough water ( it just needs to cover the beans) is an important step.
2. Adjust the spice level according to taste.
3. Adjust the coconut quantity according to your taste preferences.
For more chickpea/garbanzo beans recipes , you can try :
Happy Cooking !