For the past few weeks I have been sharing easy, healthy and interesting salad recipes with you all. Raw Mangoes are in season and I'm using them generously in this salad. Eating at least ten grams of nuts is recommended for good health . Healthy seeds like sunflower, flax, sesame, melon , mustard, cumin, rich in fibre adds to the crunch in the salad and has so many nutritive properties. In fact they are called the" Seeds Of Life".
Indian Salad dressing gives this salad a spicy touch as it compliments the sourness of the raw mango. You can always adjust the spiciness according to your palate.
Raw Mango and Sunflower Seeds Salad | Seeds of Life Salad :
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serves : 4-6
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Note : You can use fresh seasonal vegetables and herbs that are available in your state/country along with raw mango.
1 medium size raw mango ( peeled and sliced)
1 carrot ( peeled and sliced)
2 cucumbers( peeled and sliced)
1/2 green bell pepper ( you can use red and yellow too)
1/4 cup cilantro ( chopped)
Seeds and Nuts (each to be dry roasted separately ):
2 tablespoons peanuts ( roast peanuts in 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil)
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon flax seeds
1/2 teaspoon melon seeds
1/2 teaspoon sunflower seeds
10 cashew nuts
10 almonds ( soak in warm water for 15 minutes and peel skin)
For the Indian Salad Dressing :
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
pinch of kashmiri chilli powder( you can use plain chilli powder also)
1 green chilli ( slit length wise)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt to taste
1. Chop all your vegetables.
2. Take a heavy bottom pan/kadai and dry roast the seeds and nuts. Use oil only for peanuts as it adds to the taste ( optional).
Note : I did not roast the almonds, just blanched them.
3. Heat a pan with sesame oil and temper with mustard, cumin and green chillies. Switch off and add chilli powder, salt and lemon juice. Your salad dressing is ready.
4. Take a wide bowl and toss the vegetables with the dressing so that it coats the salad uniformly.
5. Garnish with seeds and nuts .
Your healthy and delicious salad is ready. I served it as a 'meal in a bowl' along with rice and Bottle gourd Kootu.
Happy Cooking !