Mexican Tacos , are becoming increasing popular in India. Mexican whole wheat or corn flat breads , the tortillas are rolled or folded with varieties of fillings. The flat breads are evensometimes baked until crisp.
The ' Achaari Aloo Tacos' is a delicious combination of whole wheat tortilla/roti and Indian Pickled Potatoes. The combination is a super hit and a must try combination. Potatoes, when cooked with their skin gives the maximum nutrition. In this delicious dish, the potatoes are cooked with pickle spices . They are roasted to give a crisp outer layer and a soft , juicy and spicy inner layer. You can prepare the tacos/rotis and the Achaari Aloo before hand. Arrange the taco counter with shredded/ grated/ chopped vegetables and allow your guests to assemble their tacos with their favourite garnishes and vegetables. Sounds fun, is'nt it ?
Weekends are the best time to try !!!
Achaari Aloo Tacos ( Whole Wheat Tacos with Pickled Potatoes ):
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 40 minutes
1 Cup = 250 ml cup
Special Vessel : Iron karahi/wok
Serves : 4
1 large onion ( thinly sliced lengthwise )
10 cherry tomatoes
1 purple cabbage or regular cabbage ( shredded)
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
For the Achaari Aloo:
4 large potatoes ( cubed with skin)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
3 teaspoons kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder/dhania powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt to taste
For tempering :
3 tablespoons oil ( mustard or sesame)
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon saunf/fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon ajwain/ carom seeds
For garnish :
1/4 cup grated/melted cheddar cheese
2 lemons ( cut)
1. Heat a kadai/wok with oil and temper with ingredients given under 'tempering'.
2. Add the washed and cubed potatoes.
3. Now add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garlic powder and salt.
4. Stir well to coat the potatoes with the masalas.
5. Let the potatoes cook and get roasted over low flame for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally .
6. Switch off.
Assembling the tacos :
1. Take a tortilla/roti and sprinkle the shredded cabbage, chopped onions and chopped cilantro.
2. Place the roasted achaari aloo on top of the vegetables.
3. Arrange cherry tomatoes and drizzle/sprinkle the melted/grated cheese and serve with lemon slices .
Your delicious Achaari Aloo Tacos are ready !!!
Have you tried my Chinese taco recipe ?
Happy Cooking !