If you have been following me on instagram, you might know that I had created interesting salad recipes couple of weeks ago and this 'Channa Chaat' salad layered in a jar was one among them. While browsing my photos, realised that I missed out on updating this 'Delhi Street food' inspired Salad . Like all the other salad jar recipes, this one also can be easily assembled and packed for office lunch. You can refer to my earlier 'salad jar' recipes to know more .
Channa Chaat | Channa Chaat Salad :
Preparation time : 4 hours
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 2
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Special Vessel: clean, odour free and dry jars
1 cup garbanzo beans/chick peas/kabuli channa
1 large tomato ( finely chopped)
1 cucumber ( sliced, optional)
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
cilantro leaves or mint leaves ( roughly torn)
For the dressing :
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 " ginger ( grated or squeeze to extract juice)
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon chaat masala
1 teaspoon jaggery
salt to taste
For pickled onions :
2 red onion ( sliced ) or 5 small red onions (halved)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1. Wash and soak garbanzo beans for 4 hours and boil them in a pressure cooker, adding turmeric for upto 4 -5 whistles and switch off.
2. Drain the boiled beans and set it aside.
3. When you soak the beans, you can also pickle the onions, by soaking them in vinegar and water .
Tip: Mix vinegar and water in a small bottle, add the chopped onions and let them soak for a few hours. You can pickle a day or two in advance also. This keeps good for a week.
4. Mix all the ingredients given 'for dressing' .
5. Add the dressing to the boiled chick peas and toss well.
6. Layer a clean jar with the chick peas, pickled onions, tomatoes and garnish with cilantro or mint.
7. When you want to eat, just transfer them to a bowl, mix and enjoy!
Have you tried my Italian Salad Jar recipe ?