Coconut milk is filled with many health benefits including curing mouth ulcers and is just so tasty. The milk is used while preparing many coastal gravies and in traditional South Indian desserts. Now a days, many are using coconut milk as a 'Vegan' alternative to cow milk. Preparing coconut milk at home is very easy. Just follow these steps and enjoy fresh coconut milk.
The coconut milk is served as a side dish to Kerala appams . Cardamom and sugar are added to the freshly squeezed coconut milk. In case you are using it for making spicy gravies like the Creamy Thai Sweet Potato Curry, then add it as is.
How to make coconut milk at home | Homemade coconut milk recipe :
Total time : 15 minutes
Makes : 1/2 cup thick coconut milk, 1 cup thin coconut milk
1 Cup = 250 ml cup
1/2 coconut ( chopped)
2 green cardamoms ( finely powdered)
2 teaspoons sugar ( adjust)
water ( adjust)
1. Grind the finely chopped/grated coconut in a food processor/mixer with 1/2 cup water ( adjust).
2. Squeeze out the milk using a sieve.
3. Transfer the residue back to the mixer, pour approximately 1/2 cup warm water and let it soak for 15 minutes.
4. Grind it again and squeeze the milk. This is the thin milk or second milk.
Chef tip :
1. Adjust water quantity depending upon the sweetness and freshness of the coconut.
2. I used a small coconut and have given measurements accordingly.
Here is a video tutorial on making coconut milk.