Italian Pasta recipes with loads of cheese and vegetables always gets a thumbs up from children. Delight them with this delicious baked pasta which has the goodness of melted cheese and mushrooms. Using juicy tomatoes and garden fresh herbs enhances the taste of the pasta. I have added mushrooms to make this pasta wholesome . If you are a non -vegetarian, you can substitute the mushrooms with chicken too. The dish is mildly spiced with pepper . Bread crumbs and parmesan cheese topping gives the required crunch to this baked goodness. A perfect weekend treat !!
Italian Home Style Baked Pasta ( with cheese and bread crumbs):
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 40 minutes
Serves : 2
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Special Equipment/Vessel :Oven friendly pan/ baking dish/baking pan
1 cup farfalle pasta
10 button mushrooms ( cut into large slices)
1 large onion ( finely chopped)
2 garlic pods ( finely chopped)
3 tomatoes ( finely chopped)
10 cherry tomatoes ( halved)
1/4 cup basil leaves( finely chopped)
1/4 cup parsley ( finely chopped)
6-7 green olives (whole)
2 teaspoons black olive slices
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese ( grated)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese ( grated)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
15-20 black peppercorns ( crushed using mortar and pestle)
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 teaspoons butter
salt to taste
1. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add the farfalle and a pinch of salt.
2. Cook pasta for 7-8 minutes over medium flame, stirring occasionally.
3. Switch off and drain the excess water.
4. Set aside.
5. Heat a medium size pan with oil.
6. Add the garlic, onion and salt.
7. When they have lightly browned, add the mushrooms and cook covered for 6-7 minutes over low flame.
8. Switch off .
9. In a large mixing bowl, add the cooked farfalle, mushroom mixture, chopped tomatoes, parsley, basil, green and black olives, cherry tomatoes, pepper, salt and mozzarella cheese .
10. Mix all the ingredients well.
11. Grease a 6"-8" baking dish with butter.
12. Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees C for 10 minutes.
13. Transfer the mixed contents to the baking dish.
14. Mix the parmesan cheese and bread crumbs and sprinkle over the pasta, covering it completely.
15. Drop small dollops of butter on top of the cheese and bread crumbs layer.
16. Bake the pasta at 180 degrees C for 20 -25 minutes.
Your Italian Home Style Baked Pasta is ready to be served ! I served it along with Italian Ricotta Crostini.
Chef Tips :
1. Before you make bread crumbs , keep the bread outside for atleast 30 minutes and then grind it .
2. You can add garden fresh vegetables and herbs of your choice.
3. Incase of a party , you can bake the dish in advance and just before serving , re -heat .
4. You can bake the pasta using your microwave also. The cooking time will vary depending upon the type and brand of microwave.
5. Before serving you can grate some parmesan/cheddar cheese .
6. If parmesan cheese is not available you can use cheddar cheese .
For more interesting pasta recipes, click here.
Happy Cooking !