With summers at it's peak, my kitchen is literally an oven!! I try and cook easy at the same time yummy recipes. Here is another healthy and authentic South Indian recipe. It just takes 10-15 minutes ( from scratch )to bring this dish to the dining table. We all know the nutritional benefits of spinach and it is best to include at least a small portion of spinach in our daily diet.
I have earlier shared Keerai Masiyal recipe, Palakura Pappu Recipe, Murungai Keerai Poriyal recipe. You can serve this Pachadi as a side dish to rice or roti. A quick and handy recipe with just few ingredients that are easily available in your pantry.
Recipe Courtesy : The Chettinad Cookbook
Keerai Thayir Pachadi | Chettinad Style Keerai Pachadi:
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1 cup spinach ( finely chopped)
1 cup thick curd/yoghurt
salt to taste
For the ground paste :
1/3 cup fresh coconut ( chopped)
1-2 green chillies ( adjust)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 cup water
For tempering :
1 teaspoon coconut oil/ sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon urad dal/ split and husked black gram
1. Wash and steam the spinach till they are cooked.
2. Use the back of a ladle or potato masher to roughly mash the spinach.
3. Add all the ingredients given under 'ground paste' in a mixer and grind to make a smooth paste using water.
4. Take the curd in a wide vessel and whisk well without any lumps.
5. Add the ground paste and whisk again.
6. Now add the steamed and mashed spinach, salt and mix again.
7. Heat oil in a ladle/small pan and temper with ingredients given under the same.
Your Keerai Thayir Pachadi is ready to be served along with rice .
Chef Tips :
1. Add the spinach to the curd mixture just before you serve it for lunch.
2. If you are preparing the pacchadi for later, then do not add the spinach to the curd and store. Instead add the ground paste to spinach and add the curd just before serving .
3. You can use the locally available spinach varieties.
4. You can temper with a dry red chilli if you love more spice.
Happy Cooking !