Eating lots of fresh vegetables, fruits and proteins are always a great idea. It keeps us light and hydrated. It also replenishes our body with essential nutrients and vitamins. Many of us are too busy with our office work and domestic duties, that we ignore taking care of ourselves. Yes, that needs a little pushing...but it is not very hard if we are going to try.
I am not too fond of 'uncooked' vegetables but I am going to try some interesting 'Salad in a Jar' combinations, where taste will not be compromised at all. Now, packing the salads into layers in a jar, keeps the vegetables fresh without getting soggy with the dressing. It is so convenient to prepare salads a day or night in advance and carry it to your work. Is'nt it interesting ?
Well, I can tell you that the salad remained 'fresh ' for 2 days when refrigerated. All you need is a clean and wide mouthed glass jar ( preferably) with an air tight lid. Pack your salads in advance and carry it to your work place. It is advisable to add the dressing just before you eat or you can simply layer the dressing at the bottom of the jar. Whenever you want to eat, just transfer them to a bowl. Mix and enjoy. If you are planning to pack these for your ( grown up) loved ones, do pack an extra jar for yourself too!
Kosambri Salad Jar | Traditional South Indian Salad In a Jar :
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Assembling time : 5 minutes
Storage : Keeps good for 2 days when refrigerated in a clean, dry, odour free, non abrasive salad jars/glass jars
Special Vessel : 300gms to 500 gms jar
Ingredients ( to make a salad for one jar ) :
2 tablespoons moong dal/ split yellow dal ( soak in water for half an hour, drain and use in salad)
1 tablespoon sprouted horse gram
1 tablespoon sprouted green mung beans /green gram
1 carrot ( peeled and grated)
1 English cucumber ( sliced)
2 tablespoons fresh coconut ( grated)
2 tablespoon raw mango ( grated)
fresh cilantro leaves
Lettuce leaves ( optional)
For the dressing :
Juice of 1 lemon
1 green chilli ( finely chopped)
1 teaspoon oil
salt ( adjust)
honey ( adjust)
1. Take a clean, dry, odour free jar and layer the vegetables, dals and sprouts in layers.
2. Layers from bottom to top : Lettuce, moong dal, sprouted green gram and horse gram, carrot, English cucumbers, fresh coconut , raw mango and cilantro.
3. Leave little room between the mouth of the jar and the lid.
4. Close the jar tightly and refrigerate .
5. Prepare the dressing and refrigerate that too.
6. Before carrying it for work, you can drizzle the dressing on top and close the lid again.
7. Whenever you want to eat, shake the jar and transfer it to a wide bowl, mix and enjoy .
1.When you are using greens like lettuce, wash and pat dry before you layer them.
2.If you want to avoid oil completely, then add one green chilli to the layer and just drizzle lemon juice with salt on top .
3. If you feel honey might leak in your bag, then you can sprinkle powdered jaggery ( or cane sugar )
I am sure you are going to enjoy this salad as much as I enjoyed sharing the recipe with all of you. Many of you have requested me to share more of such salad ideas. I am working on it and will be posting it very soon. Keep visiting this space to get the recipes. Have you tried my Mediterranean Salad Bowl ?
Happy Cooking !