I am really excited to share this recipe of Pacchai/Paccha Mor Kuzhambu recipe with you all. I love this dish for two reasons. Firstly, it is one of my favourite childhood dishes introduced to me by my maternal grandmother . I can vividly remember how I used to lovingly demand my grandmom to make this kuzhambu . Later, my mom also pampered me with this dish.
Secondly, this kuzhambu is so simple to make. Just few ingredients and less than 10 minutes , your kuzhambu is ready ! Whenever you are out of vegetables or too tired to make anything extravagant or your kitchen is just too hot, this kuzhambu recipe helps.
It tastes great with rice and ghee and can also be had as a side dish to chapathi/thepla/dosa/upma.
North Arcot Style Pacchai Mor Kuzhambu |Buttermilk Curry Recipe from North Arcot :
Preparation time : 2 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Storage : You can refrigerate this kuzhambu and use it for 2 days.
2 1/2 - 3 cups buttermilk ( made from 1 cup whisked thick yoghurt/curd)
1 sprig curry leaves ( roughly torn)
salt to taste
For the spice powder :
2 teaspoons coriander seeds/dhania
1 teaspoon split bengal gram/channa dal
1 teaspoon husked black gram/urad dal
3 dry red chillies ( adjust according to the heat of the chillies)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1. Heat a pan/kadai with oil over low flame and roast the ingredients given under 'spice powder' till they turn very light brown and fragrant.
Chef Tip: Keep stirring continuously while roasting the ingredients to avoid burning.
2. Cool and grind it to a fine powder.
3. Whisk thick curd without any lumps.
4. Add water to make buttermilk.
5. Stir in the spice powder, salt and curry leaves .
Your delicious North Arcot Style Pacchai Mor Kuzhambu is ready!
Chef Tips :
1. This kuzhambu does not need any tempering. However, you can temper with mustard seeds if you like.
2. If you have a roasted and ground spice powder( home made), you can use that as the spice mix. It saves more time.
3. Adjust the thickness of the kuzhambu according to your family taste preference.
4. Adjust spice levels according to taste.
You can also try my Traditional Tambram Style Mor Kuzhambu and Tirunelveli Style Mor Kuzhambu recipes.
Happy Cooking !