Thanks to your amazing response to my ' Salad In A Jar' ideas. Preparing these 'lunch on the go' Salad Jars is so much fun and healthy. Carrying them to work is so fashionable and trendy. As I have already mentioned, they can be prepared a day earlier . Sabudana( Sago) Khichdi is a tasty Indian dish. Today's salad jar is a deconstructed low fat version of the Maharastrian delicacy. You can substitute the Sago with beaten rice ( poha) or millets. I made a spicy dressing of garlic, roasted peanuts red chillies. But try me, the salad jar is so tasty even without adding the dressing. To know more about my salad jars, do read my Kosambari Salad Jar recipe.
Sabudana Khichdi |Salad In A Jar | Deconstructed Sabudana Salad In A Jar | Traditional Maharastrian Breakfast In A Jar :
Preparation time : 3 hours ( soaking time)
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 2
Storage : Keeps good for 2 days when refrigerated in a clean, dry, odour free, non abrasive salad jars/glass jars
Special Vessel : 300gms to 500 gms jar
1/2 cup sabudana/sago/tapioca pearls ( refer here for soaking instructions)
1 large potato ( cubed with skin)
1 carrot ( grated)
1/4 cup fresh coconut ( grated or pulsed)
2 teaspoons roasted peanuts
fresh cilantro ( roughly chopped)
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika/kashmiri chilli powder ( optional)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon sesame oil
salt to taste
For the dressing ( optional ):
1 teaspoon roasted peanuts
1 teaspoon roasted gram
2 garlic pods
1 red dry red chilli chilli
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons water(adjust)
For garnish (optional) :
1 English cucumber ( sliced, optional)
2 small pickled onions
1. Heat a non- stick pan with 1/2 teaspoon oil over low flame and add the soaked and drained tapioca pearls.
2. Add a pinch of salt and keep stirring till they turn transparent ( an indication that they are cooked).
3. Switch off and set it aside to cool.
4. Heat a pan with 1/2 teaspoon oil and add the chopped potatoes.
5. Add turmeric, salt and chilli powder (optional) , mix well.
6. Add 2 teaspoons of water and cook till the potatoes are fork tender.
7. Switch off and add the lemon juice.
8. Grind all the ingredients given under 'dressing' to a fine paste.
Assembling the jar :
1. Take an odour free, clean and dry jar and first add a teaspoon of dressing (if you are making).
2. Next add the sago/ sabudana.
3. Add chopped cilantro and then grated carrots.
4. Now, layer with pan fried potatoes, roasted peanuts and grated/pulsed coconut.
5. Garnishing is optional. I garnished with sliced cucumbers and pickled onions in one of my jars.
6.Close the jar tightly and refrigerate till you consume.
Your Sabudana Khichdi in a Jar is ready !!!
Chef Tips :
1. If you are adding chilli powder to the potatoes, you can skip making the dressing. They still taste great.
2. You can add a pinch of garlic powder and ginger powder to the potatoes.
3. You can even add 1/2 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste to the potatoes.
4. You can add more fresh seasonal vegetables.
Happy Cooking !