Mangoes are in season and recently I picked up large quantities of farm fresh mangoes from Uttaranchal. Apart from enjoying them as is and as milk shakes, I also wanted to make a cake. So baked this simple, yet soft and yummy mango cake today. As there were many requests for this recipe, I am sharing it immediately so that you can try it before the end of the mango season.
However, you can make the cake using the canned mango pulp too. Adjust the sugar according to the sweetness of the mangoes. Also, you can bake this cake in microwave or pressure cooker also. The baking time will differ according to the type of microwave you use. If making in cooker, you can steam the cake without the whistle and check after 15 minutes by inserting a toothpick in the centre of the cake. Cook till it comes out clean .
You can use two similar size pans and bake two cakes. Whip some fresh cream and layer the cakes. Top them with chopped mangoes and colourful berries. Sounds delicious? It is just delicious !!
Eggless Mango Cake Recipe :
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Baking time : 25-30 minutes
Cooling time : 15 minutes
Serves : 6-8
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Special vessel : baking pans , foil
Storage : Keeps good for 2-3 days when refrigerated
2 cups mango puree ( I used 3 medium sized ripe mangoes)
2 cups flour/maida
1.5 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter (melted)
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons oil ( for greasing, adjust)
For garnish :( You can be creative in garnish)
Note : Before starting the following preparation, preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 160 degrees C. Also grease the baking pan/pans with oil.
1. In a mixer, puree the mango pulp, sugar and milk to a smooth consistency.
2. In a wide vessel/bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda using a fork or wire whisk.
3. Melt the butter in a pan and allow it to cool a bit.
4. Add the pureed mango-sugar mixture and butter to the flour mixture and whisk well using a ballon whisk so that there are no lumps.
Note : The consistency of the batter is semi- thick. When you drop the batter, it should flow smoothly and will form ribbons.
5. Transfer the batter to the greased baking tins.
Chef tip: Fill only upto 1/2 of the cake tin/vessel.
6. You can sprinkle pistachios or dry fruits of your choice ( optional) and bake the cake in the middle rack of the oven at 160 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Chef tip : After 10 minutes , check if the top layer is browning. If so, cover with a foil and continue baking.
7. After 20 minutes, check whether the cake is fully cooked by inserting a toothpick in the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, your cake is done. Else, continue baking and check every 5 minutes.
8. Once done, remove the cake pan from the oven and allow it to cool for 5-7 minutes in the pan itself.
9. Then slowly run a blunt knife on the sides of the pan.
10. Invert the pan on a cooling rack and dismantle the cake from the pan.
11. Cool for another 10 minutes .
12. During this time you can garnish the cake with pistachios/ cut fruits/ whipped cream etc.,
Your delicious, soft and moist Eggless Mango Cake is ready to be served!
Are you looking for more eggless cake recipes? Refer here
Happy Cooking !