Mamabazha Puliserry is a unique and special dish of Kerala. This dish is specially prepared on the auspicious day of Onam. However, the best time to prepare this dish is when mangoes are in season. Whole ripe mangoes are cooked in a coconut- sour curd spicy gravy . The pulissery has a burst of different flavours like sweet, sour, spicy and is a perfect accompaniment to hot rice, idiappams and even dosa. Authentic pulissery uses small whole mangoes. You can however use sliced mangoes too. Try this recipe before the mangoes go out of season.
Kerala Special Mambazha Puliserry :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
4 small ripe mangoes
2 green chillies ( sliced lengthwise )
1 cup curd ( whisked)
salt to taste
For the ground masala paste:
1/2 coconut ( chopped)/ 1 cup grated coconut
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoon coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
2 dry red chillies ( cut into halves)
1 sprig curry leaves
1. Heat a medium size kadai with 2 cups of water.
2. Add the mangoes, green chillies and cook covered for 10-15 minutes over low flame.
3. When the mangoes are simmering, prepare the masala paste by grinding smoothly the ingredients given under ' ground masala paste' by using 1/4 teaspoon water.
4. Once the mangoes are cooked, add the ground masala paste and cook over low flame for 5-7 minutes.
5. Now add the whisked curd, mix and switch off.
6. Heat an iron ladle or small pan with coconut oil and temper with the ingredients given.
7. Pour it over the pulissery.
Your delicious Mambazha Pulissery is ready to be served along with hot rice .
1. Adjust spice levels according to the sourness of the curd and the sweetness of the mango.
2. I used Kashmiri red chilli powder and hence the rich colour.
Happy Cooking !