Elephant Yam is known as 'Senai Kizhangu' in Tamil. ' Masiyal' means mash . In this traditional recipe, yam and tuvar dal are boiled and mashed . They are flavoured with green chillies and lemon. A tangy and mildly spicy gravy that is delicious along with steaming hot rice and ghee. This dish is common in our home and I make it at least once or twice a month. As this is a recipe passed on by my grand mother to my mother and from her to me, I can call this our heirloom recipe. Elephant Yam has so many health benefits and including this vegetable in our diet is important.
This is a simple, hassle free and quick recipe . Do try and you will love it!
Senai Kizhangu Masiyal | North Arcot Style Masiyal :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
250 gms Senai/elephant yam ( peeled and cubed)
3/4 cup pigeon peas/tuvar dal
1/2 teaspoon sambar powder ( optional)
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 cup lemon juice /juice from 2 medium size lemons
salt to taste
For tempering :
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon husked black gram/urad dal
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
pinch of asafoetida
1 sprig curry leaves
4 green chillies ( halved lengthwise)
1/2 " ginger ( roughly chopped)
Note: Before you start peeling the yam, oil your hands to prevent any kind of itching or irritation. After cubing the yam, squeeze fresh lemon juice on the yam , sprinkle turmeric powder and set it aside.
1. Boil the yam and tuvar dal ( with turmeric powder) in separate vessels in a pressure cooker upto 4 whistles. Switch off and set it aside.
2. Heat a wide pan/Kadai with oil over low flame and temper with ingredients given ( see 'For tempering').
3. Add the boiled yam and while mixing with the tempered ingredients, lightly mash using the back of the ladle.
4. Now add the mashed dal, sambar powder(if adding) and adjust water quantity.
Chef tip : This is a thick gravy, so add water little by little.
5. Add salt and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes only and switch off.
6. After switching off add the extracted fresh lemon juice.
Your healthy and yummy traditional Masiyal is ready to be served along with rice.
I had earlier shared a Bihari delicacy using Elephant Yam. It is known as Suran Chutney. Have you tried it?
I had made the masiyal recipe (live) on snap chat. My snap chat id is masterchefmom. Hope to see you there soon. You can also follow me on Instagram . My id @masterchefmom
Happy Cooking !