Most of us love baby potatoes. They are so tasty which ever way you cook them . But today I am sharing a delicious and addictive bengali dish that I made a few days ago.'Choto Aloo' means baby potatoes in Bengali . The baby potatoes are lightly roasted and cooked in a flavourful thick masala . This is a simple stir fry recipe. It tastes great along with hot rice, parathas, rotis and other flat breads. It can be served as a separate starter dish. The secret to getting an authentic taste to the 'Aloor Dum' is to cook the ground masala on low flame till it the oil separates on the sides. A very tasty dish , a must try !
Choto Aloor Dum ( Bengali Style Baby Potato Stir Fry ):
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 45 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1/2 kg baby potatoes ( boiled and peeled)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon coriander powder/dhania powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder ( I used Kashmiri chilli powder)
1/4 teaspoon sugar
salt to taste
To be ground :
2 medium sized onions ( chopped)
2 green chillies ( chopped)
1/2" ginger piece
For tempering :
2 tablespoons mustard oil ( add extra if required)
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
For garnish :
chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1. Heat a wide pan with mustard oil over low flame and when the oil starts to smoke, temper with cumin seeds.
2.Add the ground mixture to the pan .
3. Stir the mixture over low flame and add sugar and salt.
4. Continue stirring and add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, dhania powder and cook the mixture over low flame, covered.
5. Keep stirring every 3-4 minutes till the mixture thickens and the oil starts leaving the sides of the pan.
6. Now, add the baby potatoes, sprinkle garam masala and mix well.
7. Allow the mixture to fry for another 7-10 minutes on low flame, stirring intermittently .
8. Switch off and garnish with chopped cilantro or mint leaves (pudina).
Your delicious Choto Aloor Dum is ready to be served !
Have you tried my Mochar Ghonto Recipe? Do try .