Today I am going to share a traditional recipe that is filled with so much health - the 'Ellu Urundai' or Sesame Seeds laddu . Sesame seeds is high in fibre, calcium and many other vitamins and minerals. Adding sesame seeds regularly in our diet helps to keep bone problems at bay. Interestingly, sesame seeds are believed to be the oldest seed that has been used in our culinary art. Extremely beneficial in lowering cholesterol levels and blood pressure, the sesame seeds helps burn fat and fight cancer. Our ancestors have created recipes with ingredients that are absolutely healthy and vital to maintain good health.
I had made this urundai in my cooking workshop in Masterchefmom Snap Kitchen last sunday. Do follow me on snap chat and instagram , so that you do not miss the free workshops.
The ellu urundai can be stored in a clean and air tight container and stored upto 7-8 days. A healthy snacking option as well.
Ellu Urundai | Til Laddu/Laddoo | Til Mithai | Sesame seeds Laddu:
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 7-10 minutes
Makes: 20 small laddu/laddoos
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1 cup sesame seeds ( white or black)
1 cup powdered jaggery
1-2 teaspoons ghee/clarified butter ( to grease)
1. In a wide pan, dry roast the sesame seeds,till they become fragrant.
2. Add the powdered jaggery and mix over low flame .
3. Once the jaggery melts, switch off and allow it to cool until it is bearable to touch.
4. Grease hand with ghee and start rolling them into balls/laddoos.
Alternatively, grind the mixture in a mixer/mixie to a coarse powder and roll them into laddoos.
Chef tip : You will be surprised how easy it is to make it this way and the oil in the sesame seeds will be enough to bind the powder into laddoos. No compromise in taste also. Try and see for yourself.
Your delicious and healthy Sesame laddu/Ellu Urundai is ready !
Chef tips :
1. If you want , you can add 1/2 teaspoon ghee in the mixture.
2. You can add powdered cardamom for flavouring.
3. In case you are rolling the seeds instead of using the mixer, then if the mixer becomes cold, it will become difficult to roll. Reheat and roll again.
4. If using the mixer ( easy option), you can easily roll when it is cold too.
5. Adjust jaggery according to the variety of jaggery you use.
Happy Cooking !