I have started loving Bengali Cuisine. Here is another interesting, yummy recipe from the East of India. ' Paturi' is a Bengali dish typically made using fish. They are marinated with spices dominated by mustard and then steam cooked in a banana leaf. This traditional dish is so flavourful and can be served along with rice or rotis. In this vegetarian Paturi recipe, 'Fulkopir' or Cauliflower is grated and marinated in a spicy paste. Since this dish is steam cooked, there is very less use of oil. The flavours of the marinade remains intact after steaming. A healthy and guilt free side dish that can be a part of your Bengali Meal.
Fulkopir Paturi ( Bengali Style Cauliflower Dumplings):
Preparation time : 1 hour
Cooking time : 10-15 minutes
Serves : 2
1 Cup = 250 ml cup
Special vessel : steamer ( preferably bamboo steamer)
1 small cauliflower ( grated) or 1 cup grated cauliflower ( tightly packed)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon mustard oil
salt to taste
To be ground for marination :
1 teaspoon mustard seeds ( powder using mortar and pestle)
3/4 teaspoon poppy seeds ( powder using mortar and pestle)
2 green chillies ( chopped)
1/4 cup grated coconut
3-4 garlic pods
For steaming :
1/2 small size banana leaf( to line the steamer)
1/2 small size banana leaf ( lightly toss in heat and cut them into squares, remove the stem)
1/4 teaspoon oil for greasing
1. Wash and grate the cauliflower and soak them in hot water for 2-3 minutes .
2. Drain the water, squeeze the grated cauliflower and set them aside in a wide bowl.
3. Grind together all the ingredients given under 'To be ground for marination ' using very little water to make a thick paste.
4. Add the ground paste, salt, sugar, turmeric powder, chilli powder, mustard oil and cumin seeds to the cauliflower.
5. Mix them well using your hands , cover and set it aside for 45 minutes.
6. Line a steamer with banana leaf .
7. Take small portions of the marinated vegetable and shape them into dumplings using your hand.
8. Place the shaped portion in the centre of the cut banana leaf squares , close and seal them using a tooth pick.
Tip : Heat the banana leaf over direct flame to make it more pliable.
9. Repeat this method for the remaining marinated cauliflower.
10. Place as many dumplings in the steamer and steam for 12- 15 minutes.
Your delicious Fulkopir Paturi is ready to be served along with rice or rotis.
1. Traditionally yellow and brown mustard are used to make the marinate. But you can mix and use the varieties or use black mustard. Adjust the quantity according to the sharpness of the mustard seeds.
2. Soaking the cauliflower in hot water is to free the cauliflower from worms if any. You can add a pinch of salt and turmeric to the water while boiling.
3. If banana leaves are not available, you can use cabbage leaves or turmeric leaves for steaming.
Happy Cooking !