'Rava Idli ' or the 'Semolina Idli' is an instant tiffin item that can be made within minutes if you have roasted rava ready. The roasted rava is mixed along with sour curd and tempered with spices and then steamed in idli plates. They are easy to pack for lunch box too. The idlis are spongy and extremely soft. You can adjust the spice levels according to your family preference. Also, you can add vegetables and make it more colourful.
If you are still thinking of what to cook for breakfast or dinner , do try this simple and delicious Idli recipe.
Rava Idli | Instant Rava Idli Recipe:
Preparation time :30 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4-6
1 cup = 250 ml cup
2 cups rava /semolina/cream of wheat ( roasted in 1 teaspoon of ghee)
1 cup thick curd ( lightly sour, whisked)
pinch of turmeric powder ( optional)
1/2 teaspoon fruit salt ( I used eno fruit salt)
1 and 1/2 cups water ( adjust)
salt to taste
For tempering :
1 teaspoon sesame oil + 1 teaspoon ghee ( you can use only oil or only ghee also)
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon bengal gram/channa dal
1 teaspoon husked black gram /urad dal
5-10 cashew nuts ( broken into smaller pieces)
2-3 green chillies ( finely chopped)
1 sprig curry leaves
pinch of asafoetida
Grated vegetables ( optional)
1. Heat a wide pan over low flame with ghee and roast the rava till they are fragrant, switch off and allow it to cool.
Chef tip: Keep stirring the rava to avoid any lumps and to get uniform colour.
2. Whisk the curd and add half the quantity of water given and pinch of turmeric.
3. Heat a small pan with oil and temper with ingredients given and add it to the curd.
4. Now add salt , roasted rava and mix well.
5. Add more water ( if required ) to bring the rava idli batter to a semi thick consistency, just like the regular idli batter.
6. Allow the batter to rest for 20-30 minutes.
7. Grease the idli plates with oil .
8. Once the batter is rested, it might become more thick.
9. Adjust water level ( add little at a time) to bring it back to idli batter consistency.
10. Add fruit salt, mix and immediately spoon them into the idli plates.
11. Steam the idlis for 15 minutes or till the time, a fork inserted comes out clean.
Your delicious South Indian breakfast is ready ! Serve the idlis with your choice of chutneys or sambar. You can also serve the idlis with milagai podi. I served it with murungai keerai milagai podi, a healthy podi recipe made from drumstick leaves.
Chef Tips :
1. Adjust water levels as the quantity I have given may differ according to the type of rava that you are using.
2. You can completely avoid fruit salt also. But make sure that the curd is little sour and allow the batter to rest for 30-40 minutes.
3. The fruit salt should be added just before steaming the idlis.
4. Do not dilute the batter too much, else the idlis will be flat.
5. You can add vegetables like grated carrot, peas etc.,
6. Instead of green chillies, you can also add dry red chillies ( cut into smaller pieces).
8. You can also prepare a ready mix for rava upma/rava idli and soak it in curd mixture for 20 minutes. Add fruit salt and steam.
Happy Cooking !