'Thoran' or 'Upperi' is the Kerala Style Vegetable Stir Fry. The vegetables are usually grated or finely chopped and is cooked along with grated fresh coconut. Being a coastal region, plenty of coconut is used in Kerala Cuisine. The thoran is an essential part of everyday menu in most of the Malayali households. The 'Thoran' has a beautiful crunchy texture as the vegetables are not cooked too much. The thoran is an integral part of the popular Onam Sadya , the banquet prepared on the Onam Festival . You can prepare any vegetable thoran using this recipe.
Cabbage Thoran | Kerala Style Thoran:
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1 small cabbage ( grated or finely chopped )
10 -12 shallots /sambar onions ( finely chopped)
4-5 green chillies ( finely chopped)
1/2 cup fresh coconut ( grated, adjust quantity according to taste)
pinch of turmeric
salt to taste
For tempering :
2 teaspoons coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 sprig curry leaves ( roughly torn)
|my ingredients are ready|
1. Heat a kadai/wok over low heat with coconut oil and temper with the ingredients given under' For tempering'.
2. Once the seeds splutter, add the green chillies and shallots and fry them till the onions turn light brown.
Tip: Keep stirring the onions so that they do not burn or get over cooked.
3. Now add the grated cabbage , salt , turmeric powder and stir to mix well over medium flame.
4. Reduce the flame and add 2 tablespoons of water and cook covered for 3-4 minutes only.
5. Open the lid and stir the cabbage to check if it is cooked .
Tip: Do not over cook the vegetable.
Tip: If some moisture is left, increase the heat to high flame and cook by continuously stirring for one minute.
6. Add the grated coconut , stir well till they are mixed well and switch off.
Your delicious thoran is ready to be served !
Happy Cooking !