'Olan' is another traditional Kerala speciality stew. This is a simple stew that is mainly made using ash gourd/white pumpkin and black eyed peas. Since white pumpkin is not easily available here, I have used yellow pumpkin and it was equally delicious. Just remember to soak the peas over night and you can make this stew within minutes. You can use store bought coconut milk also. I extracted the milk the previous day and it was so handy.
Olan | Pumpkin and Black Eyed Peas Stew from Kerala:
Preparation time: 6 - 8 hours
Cooking time : 20 minutes
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1 cup black eyed peas ( soaked and boiled)
2 cups yellow pumpkin ( peeled and cubed)
3- 4 green chillies ( chopped into 2 " pieces)
1/2 " fresh ginger ( grated)( optional)
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
1. Wash and soak the black eyed peas overnight.
2. Boil the peas and pumpkin in a pressure cooker along with green chillies and curry leaves.
3. Transfer the cooked pumpkin and beans to a vessel and add the coconut milk.
Note : You can adjust the spice levels and the amount of coconut milk according to your taste preference. You can add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to the stew also as an optional step.
4. Heat over low flame and bring it to a boil and switch off.
5. Add salt and drizzle the coconut oil .
Your simple and delicious Olan is ready !
Wishing you and your family a blessed festival .
Happy Cooking !