'Puli Inji' or 'Inji Puli' is an extremely popular Kerala Style Ginger and Tamarind Instant Pickle . This pickle is served on special festival days, pooja days and also during marriage functions. It is a delicious and lip smacking instant pickle that can be made using a hand ful of ingredients . To get the authentic taste of the pickle, you just have to carefully fry the ginger till they reduce in size. The tamarind: jaggery ratio also plays an important part in this recipe. As Onam is just a few days away, I thought of posting a few popular Onam Sadya Recipes. Hope it is useful to you all.
Puli Inji | Kerala Style Puli Inji :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 6-8
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Storage : one week when stored in an airtight and non reactive container
1 large piece of Fresh ginger ( peeled and finely chopped) OR 100 gms fresh ginger
lemon size tamarind ( soaked in 1 cup of warm water for 10 minutes and extract thick juice)
2 tablespoons jaggery ( powdered, adjust according to the heat of chillies and variety of jaggery)
pinch of turmeric powder
salt to taste
For tempering :
2 teaspoons coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
1 sprig curry leaves
3 large green chillies ( finely chopped)
10 shallots or sambar onions ( finely chopped)
1. Heat a pan with oil and temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
|Ingredients for Inji puli|
2. Once tempered add the finely chopped onions, green chillies , salt and fry them over low flame, till they turn light brown in colour .
3. Now, add the chopped ginger pieces and a pinch of turmeric.
4. Continue to fry them over low flame till the ginger reduces in size and turns light brown.
Tip : Keep stirring for uniform frying of the ginger.
5. When the ginger is getting fried, heat another pan with the tamarind juice and allow it to cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add the jaggery and continue to cook the tamarind juice ( add 1/4 cup of water at this stage) till it starts to thicken.
7. Once the tamarind jaggery mixture comes to a syrup consistency, pour the fried ginger mixture into this pan.
8. Mix well over low flame for another 2-3 minutes ( or adjust according to the consistency you like) and switch off.
Your delicious Inji Puli is ready to be served.
Wishing you and your family a blessed festival !
Happy Cooking !