Sambar is a part of everyday cooking for me and the best sambar is the one made from freshest sambar powder. In South India , the ingredients for sambar powder like the lentils/dal, chilli powder are sun dried and then ground in the 'Maavu Mill' ( the flour mill) . But if you are living in any other part of the world, it might be difficult to find a flour mill that grinds sambar powder. My mother has a fantastic recipe for making sambar powder at home using our mixer grinder/mixie/food processor. We have been enjoying her sambar which she effortlessly cooks using this sambar powder.
Sambar Powder | Sambar Podi Recipe :
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Makes : 300 gms sambar powder
Storage: Stays fresh for upto 3-4 months when stored in an clean, moisture free, odour free, airtight container
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1 cup coriander seeds/ dhania
1 and 1/2 cup dry red chillies ( used 50:50, guntur red chillies:salem red chillies)
1/4 cup pigeon peas/tuvar dal/tuvaram paruppu
1/4 cup methi seeds/fenugreek/vendhayam
1 tablespoon peppercorns/milagu
2 tablespoon flaxseeds
2 tablespoon horsegram/kollu
1 tablespoon turmeric powder ( directly add in mixie)
1 teaspoon asafoetida powder ( dirctly add in mixie)
40 curry leaves ( washed and pat dried, optional)
1. Collect all the above ingredients.
Tip: Wash and pat dry the curry leaves in advance, if you are using.
2. Heat a wide pan till it starts to smoke and switch off.
3. Remove it from heat and add all the ingredients together in the pan and keep stirring them continuously for 4-5 minutes .
Tip: This step is to remove any extra moisture present in the ingredients . The ingredients should not be roasted as it completely changes the taste of sambar.
4. Allow it to cool completely.
5. Transfer it to a mixie/mixer grinder, add the turmeric powder, asafoetida powder and grind them to smooth powder.
6. Transfer it to an airtight container and allow to cool completely before you close the lid.
Your aromatic sambar powder is ready !!!
1. The heating and stirring of the ingredients is to give a sun dried effect only.
2. Do not roast the ingredients.
3. Adding flax seeds, horse gram and curry leaves are optional.
4. Adjust the red chilli quantity according to the variety you are using. You can use a single variety of chilli also.
Do try out this sambar powder and share your feedback with me.
Happy Cooking !