Festival season is here and the best way to celebrate them is with sweets. Will you believe if I said that I made this payasam/ kheer for breakfast? Yes, it's true. It was amazingly tasty and wholesome . I made the payasam without using ghee or oil and also reduced the amount of jaggery and used dates to sweeten the dessert. I used coconut milk and loads of dry fruits too. So, it was so quick, easy and mouthwatering payasam.
Sevai Payasam | String Hopper Kheer:
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
1 Cup = 250 ml cup
1 cup rice sevai/rice vermicelli ( cooked and drained)
1/4 cup of jaggery ( powdered )
10 seedless dates ( soak them in 1/4 cup warm water for 10 minutes)
1 and 1/2 cup of water
1 green cardamom ( powdered)
1/2 cup coconut milk (first milk)
For garnish :
5 pistachios( blanched and slivered)
5 almonds ( blanched and slivered)
1. Heat a pan with water and add the powdered jaggery .
2. Allow it to melt completely.
Tip: Filter the water if the jaggery contains dirt , else skip the filtering.
3. Let the jaggery water simmer for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the soaked dates and dry fruits.
5. Cover allow it to cook for 5-7 minutes.
6. Gently mash the dates using the ladle to incorporate it into the jaggery mixture .
7. Once the jaggery dates mixture thickens into a syrup consistency, add the cooked and drained rice sevai and let it simmer for another 2-3 minutes only.
8. Switch off.
9. Stir in the coconut milk and serve.
Tip: Adjust the quantity of coconut according to taste. You can also use other nut milks like almond milk or cashew milk .
Your delicious payasam is ready !
Happy Cooking !