Do you know that 'Banana Blossom' or the 'Banana Flower' is known as the 'Happy Flower'?
They are pretty to look at and also has properties to elevate your dull mood and thus the name. Is'nt it interesting ? Apart from this speciality, banana flowers or 'Vazhaipoo' as it is called in Tamil language, is anti- inflammatory , reduces the activity of free radicals and also has so many minerals and vitamins essential for good health.
Regular intake of the banana flower/vazhaipoo prevents anaemia. It is also known to give relief during menstruation. So, do include the banana flower in your diet. I have earlier shared Vazhaipoo Vadai recipe and Mochar Ghonto Recipe. Do give them a try too.
Vazhaipoo Paruppu Usili | Banana Blossom Usili :
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 45 minutes
Serves : 4-6
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Note : Once you chop the vazhaipoo, soak it in water mixed with 1/2 cup buttermilk and 1/2 tsp turmeric till you use them. You can chop a day earlier , soak and keep it in the refrigerator till use.
1 banana blossom / vazhaipoo ( cleaned, finely chopped )
3/4 cup tuvar dal/toor dal/ pigeon peas
4-5 dry red chillies ( I used the guntur variety)
1-2 teaspoons sesame oil
pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
For tempering :
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon urad dal/ husked and split black gram
1/4 teaspoon channa dal/bengal gram
1 sprig curry leaves
1. Soak the tuvar dal along with chillies for 30 minutes.
2. Grind the soaked dal and chillies with 2-3 tablespoons of water in a mixie/food processor coarsely.
3. Add sesame oil , salt , asafoetida and mix well.
4. Transfer it to a vessel that can be kept as the inner vessel in a pressure cooker.
5. Drain the soaked water from the vazhaipoo and transfer the vazhaipoo to a cooker friendly vessel with 1/2 cup water.
6. Now pressure cook both the ground batter and the vazhaipoo ( kept in two separate vessels) upto 3-4 whistles and switch off.
7. Once cool, remove the cooked batter and crumble them using a ladle or spoon.
Chef Tip : You can cool the batter and then just grind them in a mixie to a powder consistency. Do not grind it too much or add water.
8. Drain the excess water from the cooked vazhaipoo.
9. Heat a kadai/pan with 1 teaspoon oil and temper with the ingredients given under 'For tempering'.
10. Now add the boiled and drained Vazhaipoo and add salt and stir over medium flame till the excess water is absorbed.
11. Once the excess water is absorbed, remove the vazhaipoo from the pan and set it aside.
12. Heat the same pan with remaining oil and add the cooked and ground dal-chilli mixture.
13. Fry it over low flame for 5-7 minutes.
Chef Tip : If you want the dal mixture ( paruppu usili) more crunchy then fry for a longer time.
14. Now add the Vazhaipoo and mix well.
15. Taste and adjust the salt levels.
Your delicious and healthy Traditional Vazhaipoo Paruppu usili is ready to be served along with rice and rasam.
If you would like to see stepwise pictures to make Paruppu usili, check out my Beans Paruppu Usili Recipe.
Happy Cooking !