The 'Allam Pachadi' is a popular Andhra Style Ginger pickle that is a tasty condiment that is served along side idlis, dosas and even chapathis. At home, we like to eat allam pachadi with steaming hot rice and ghee. "Ginger" is a delicious and healthy spice that is used in various dishes. It is known for it's medicinal properties and is also used in Ayurveda and Siddha medicines.
Allam pacchadi during winter months is bliss as the spicy , sweet pickle is so comforting to our taste buds and also keeps one warm.
This is my MIL's recipe and I am so happy to share it with all of you. Do try and you will fall in love with it.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Makes : 3/4 cup of Allam pachadi
Storage : Keeps good for 1 month if stored in a clean and dry air tight container and stored in the refrigerator.
Recipe : Mrs. Prema Pattabiraman
Gooseberry size tamarind( soak in 1/4 cup warm water for 10 minutes)
12 red chillies ( I used guntur chillies)
40-50 curry leaves
15 gms/1/4 cup ginger ( chopped)
30 gms/1/4 cup Jaggery
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1-2 teaspoons urad dal/ husked and split black gram
1/4 teaspoon methi seeds/fenugreek seeds
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
4 tablespoons sesame oil
salt to taste
1. Heat a pan with oil.
2. Temper with mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, urad dal, red chillies and curry leaves.
3. Switch off and filter the oil separately.
4. Transfer the tempered ingredients to a mixer/food processor.
5. Add the drained tamarind pulp, ginger, jaggery , asafoetida, turmeric powder, salt to the mixer.
6. Grind them finely.
7. Add the ground mixture to the drained oil and mix well.
8. Though you can use it immediately, allow the pachadi to rest for at least 3-4 hours before you start using it.
9. Transfer it to a clean and dry air tight container and store it in the refrigerator .
Your delicious Allam Pachadi is ready !!
Have you tried my Home Style Carrot Chutney Recipe?
Happy Cooking !