First of all, you must be wondering 'what is Kaima Idli?'. Interestingly, 'Kaima' is the slang word for 'Keema' ( mince) in Tamil. Left over Idlis are usually deep fried and then tossed in a spicy onion-tomato-ginger-garlic -chilli masala. Along with steaming cup of coffee, this dish is simply irresistable.
But the oil in the restaurant version always makes me feel extremely heavy and so when I make this recipe at home, I do not deep fry. But as you all know I do not compromise on the taste part. So, today I am going to share my Homestyle Kaima Idli recipe. It is a perfect party starter and also tastes excellent in office/school tiffin box.
It can be served for breakfast or even for evening after school snack. In short, it is a handy, tasty , easy and a healthy recipe.
Kaima Idli | Healthy Kaima Idli Recipe :
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 3
10-12 Idlies ( Chopped, get the idli recipe here)
1 tablespoon sesame oil ( to shallow fry the idlis)
2 onions ( finely chopped)
1 large tomato ( finely chopped)
1/4 capsicum ( optional, finely chopped)
1 teaspoon Kashmiri Chilli powder
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
salt ( adjust, only for vegetables as the idlis already have salt)
For tempering :
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves ( roughly torn)
1" ginger ( grated or finely chopped)
3-4 garlic pods ( grated,optional)
4 green chillies ( finely choped,adjust)
For garnish :
finely chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1. Bring the idlis to room temperature, roughly chop them into smaller pieces.
2.Heat a wide pan with oil over medium flame , spread the idlis and pan roast the idlis till they are crispy on all sides.
3. Remove and set it aside.
4. Heat the pan again with sesame oil.
5. Temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves and then add the other ingredients given under 'for tempering'.
6. Add the onions, tomatoes, chilli powder, turmeric powder , salt , bell pepper and fry till the tomatoes turn mushy .
Chef tip : The vegetables should look glossy.
7. Now add the fried idlis , toss and simmer for 3-4 minutes .
8. Switch off and garnish with cilantro and serve along with tea or coffee.
Your delicious Kaima Idli is ready !
A interesting and delicious variation using the most healthy, gluten free, vegan fermented food ever invented - Idli. Agree?
Happy Cooking !