Paneer Makhani is a delicious and popular paneer side dish for rotis. It is also more commonly known as the Paneer Butter Masala. Since the word 'butter' is there in the name of the dish itself, you need not get worried that it might be a greasy curry. This is a delicately made side dish that has a creamy texture due to the ground cashews. I also use few almonds along with cashews that gives the dish more taste. Just a teaspoon of butter to saute ' the ginger and garlic is used in my recipe. Also, you can always substitute ghee/clarified butter instead of butter.
If you are vegan you can add nut milk and use Tofu instead of paneer. Overall, this is a tasty as well as healthy recipe 😋. A must try 🙌.
Punjabi Paneer Makhani | Paneer Butter Masala:
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
250 gms paneer/cottage cheese ( cubed)
1 teaspoon oil ( for shallow frying the paneer , optional)
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon sugar ( adjust)
2 garlic pods ( grated or ground to paste)
1/2" ginger ( grated or ground to a paste)
2 teaspoons Kashmiri Red Chilli powder ( Adjust according to your taste)
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 cup milk ( adjust quantity according to thickness required)
salt to taste
For the cashew paste ( soak in warm water for 15 minutes):
For garnish :
1/2 teaspoon kasuri methi
1/2 teaspoon cream ( optional )
1. Heat 2-3 cups of water and when it starts to boil, slowly add all the tomatoes.
2. Let the tomatoes cook till their skin starts to peel, switch off.
3. Drain the water, peel the tomatoes and allow it to cool.
4. Add them to a food processor/mixie and puree' them and set it aside.
5. Also grind the soaked almond- cashews into a paste and set it aside.
6. If you have stored the paneer in a refrigerator, soak them in warm water for at least 10 minutes so that they are soft before you add them to the gravy.
7. If frying them, heat pan and shallow fry the paneer till they are lightly golden on all sides.
Chef tip: You can also dip the fried paneer in hot water for a second and then add them to the gravy .
8. Heat a pan or kadai with butter and saute' the ginger and garlic for 30-40 seconds only.
9. Now add the pureed tomatoes, red chilli powder, sugar, salt, garam masala and allow it to cook and reduce over low flame.
10. When the oil starts separating on the sides of the pan, add the cashew- almond gravy .
11. Allow the mixture to cook for 3-4 minutes over low flame.
12. Add the paneer and mix well, switch off.
13. After 5 minutes, stir in the required amount of milk and make a semi- thick creamy gravy.
14. Switch on the gas on low flame and allow it to simmer for another 3-4 minutes.
15. Crush some kasuri methi , sprinkle over the gravy and switch off.
You can also garnish with fresh cream if you like. Your yummy Paneer Makhani aka Paneer Butter Masala is ready to be enjoyed with hot phulkas or Chapathis. I served it along with the Restaurant Style Green Chutney.
Are you looking for more side dishes for flat rotis? Try my Palak Bhutta/ Palak Corn /Makai Palak Recipe .
Happy Cooking !