Rajma Masala or the Kidney Beans Masala is popular through out the world. Full of anti - oxidants and nutrients , it is ideal to include these in our weekly diet. Soaked and pressure cooked Rajma is further simmered in a flavourful masala. The Rajma is enjoyed both with rice and rotis. In North India, Rajma Chawal is a very popular comfort food. Since my kids grew up here in Delhi, they simply love it and I make it often at home.
Today, I am sharing a very tasty Rajma Masala Recipe. Some of us enjoyed it with rice and some of us had it with multi grain rotis.
Preparation time: 6 hours (soaking time)
Cooking time : 45 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1 cup Rajma /kidney beans
2 garlic pods ( grated)
1" ginger piece ( grated)
2 teaspoons Kashmiri chilli powder
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon rajma masala OR garam masala OR all spice powder
pinch of sugar
salt to taste
For tempering :
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
Optional tempering ( if not a vegan) :
1 -2 teaspoons ghee/clarified butter
1 green chilli ( slit lengthwise)
For garnish ( optional) :
cilantro leaves ( finely chopped)
1. Wash and soak the Rajma for at least 6 hours or overnight.
2. Drain the water and pressure cook the beans with three times water .
Chef Tip : Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to rajma before boiling.
3. Pressure cook the rajma for upto at least 4 whistles, lower the heat for another whistle and switch off.
4. To prepare the gravy, first add the tomatoes to boiling water.
Note: You can heat 3-4 cups of water in a medium size vessel.
5. Boil the tomatoes for 4-5 minutes or till the time, the skin starts to peel, switch off.
6. Drain the water, peel the tomatoes , mash using a ladle.
7. Grind them to a puree using the mixie/food processor and set it aside.
8. Heat a kadai/wok/pan with oil and temper with cumin seeds.
9. Add the ginger and garlic and saute' them for 30 seconds.
10. Add the ground tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder , pinch of sugar and the rajma masala/garam masala.
11. Let the mixture cook over low flame till the oil separates on the sides of the pan.
12. While the mixture is cooking, open the pressure cooker and drain the rajma.
Chef Tip : Store the water /bean stock separately as we will be using them in the gravy.
13. Take 1-2 tablespoons of rajma and crush them using a ladle or spoon and set it aside.
14. Now add the rest of the cooked and drained rajma to the tomato masala.
15. Mix well and add 1-2 cups of bean stock water .
16. Adjust salt and add the mashed rajma.
17. Let the mixture simmer for 7-10 minutes .
Chef Tip : Adjust the gravy consistency depending upon whether you are going to serve it for rice or rotis. For rice, the consistency is thinner so that you can mix well and eat. Adjust water quantity and cooking time accordingly.
18. Switch off and garnish.
Optional step :
Heat ghee and temper with the green chillies and pour it over the Rajma Masala.
Your delicious Rajma is ready to be served along with rice or rotis. I also served some freshly sliced onions, lemon and green chutney as accompaniments .
Happy Cooking !