There are so many different dishes that you can prepare with the Idli/dosa batter. When I grind the batter, I never repeat the same dishes. If I am making idli one day, then the next day it will be dosa and then uttapam. Unlike the dosai, which are spread on the tawa into thin layer, the uttapam is just poured into the hot tawa/griddle and sprinkled with various toppings. The most popular among them is the onion uttappam.
Uttapams are savoury pancakes that are soft and spongy and can be served for breakfast/dinner and also packed for school/office lunch box. A quick, easy and tasty breakfast recipe .
Uttapam | Vegetable Uttapam Recipe :
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 10-15 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup =250 ml cup
3 cups Idli/Dosa batter
2 onions ( finely chopped)
1/2 " ginger (grated)
2-3 green chillies ( finely chopped)
1 tomato ( optional)
1/4 capsicum/bell pepper ( optional)
1 sprig curry leaves( roughly chopped)
1 small bunch coriander leaves ( finely chopped)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1. Bring the idli/dosa batter to room temperature.
2. Heat a tawa over low flame and grease the tawa with 1/4 teaspoon of oil.
3. Spread the oil using a tissue or cloth.
4. When the tawa is hot, pour a ladleful of batter in the centre of the tawa.
5. Sprinkle the finely chopped /grated vegetables.
Note : You can use vegetables of your choice, you can even add roasted nuts .
6. Spoon 1/4 teaspoon oil around the uttapam, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Chef tips : You will see small bubbles appearing on the batter. The cooking time will vary depending upon the stove type and heat. Always cook over low or medium flame only.
7. Flip the uttapam and cook on the other side .
8. Remove the uttapam and continue the above method for the rest of the batter.
Happy Cooking !