'Achar' means pickle and since the potatoes are well roasted in pickle spices, the dish is aptly named ' Achari Aloo'. Potatoes are very popular with all age groups and I have family and friends who would hug me for making this dish. Simple and delicious !
You can make it as a starter/stand alone dish or can roll them inside rotis/chapathis/naan. I have earlier shared the Achari Aloo Tacos recipe ( refer to the recipe for step wise pictures) and on popular demand from my readers, I am posting this recipe separately as it will be easier to search this recipe from my blog.
Achari Aloo :
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 25- 30 minutes
Serves : 4
1 cup = 250 ml cup
Special Vessel : Use an iron kadai/pan to make the potatoes for maximum taste and texture.
4 large potatoes ( cubed with skin)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
3 teaspoons kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder/dhania powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt to taste
For tempering :
3 tablespoons oil ( mustard or sesame)
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon saunf/fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon ajwain/ carom seeds
For garnish :
Finely chopped cilantro/coriander leaves or mint leaves
2 lemons ( sliced and serve along with potatoes)
1. Heat a kadai/wok with oil and temper with ingredients given under 'tempering'.
2. Add the washed and cubed potatoes.
3. Now add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garlic powder and salt.
4. Stir well to coat the potatoes with the masalas.
5. Let the potatoes cook and get roasted over low flame for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally .
6. Switch off.
Your delicious Achari Aloo is ready !!
Looking for another potato starter ? Try my Honey Chilli Potatoes Recipe.
Happy Cooking !