'Adai' needs no introduction . It is a protein rich lentil/dal dosai that needs no fermentation. An easy to make healthy breakfast/lunch or dinner. I have earlier shared the recipe of Adai using red chillies. In today's recipe, the Adai is spiced only with peppercorns. Coconut and curry leaves add to the flavour of this Adai.
This adai is made especially on the Karthigai Deepam Festival in Tamilnadu.
Preparation time : 3 hours
Cooking time : 40-45 minutes ( for the entire batch)
Serves : 6
1 cup = 250 ml cup
1 cup raw rice
1/4 cup arhar dal/toor dal/pigeon peas
1/4 cup chana dal/bengal gram
1/4 cup urad dal/husked black gram
3/4 teaspoons peppercorns
1/2 cup coconut
1 sprig curry leaves ( roughly torn)
salt to taste
1-2 teaspoons sesame oil ( to make the adai)
1. Take rice in a vessel, wash two to three times under running water and then soak them separately for 3 hours.
2. Take all the three dals , wash them well twice and soak them together for 3 hours.
3. After the soaking time, drain the excess water and grind the dals coarsely in a mixer using 1/2 cup of soaked water.
4. Transfer the batter to another vessel .
5. Now grind the rice along with the coconut and peppercorns to a coarse batter adding the soaked water little by little.
6. Transfer this to the same vessel containing the dal batter.
7. Add the curry leaves and mix them well and add water if required.
Note: The adai batter is thicker than the regular dosa batter.
8. Heat a greased tawa and pour a ladle of batter on the centre of the tawa and spread the batter in circular motion like making a dosa.
Note : Click here for stepwise pictures.
9. Drizzle oil on the sides of the adai.
Note : You can even cook the adai with few drops of ghee ( it tastes really good). As I am making a Vegan recipe, I used oil.
10. Making a small hole in the centre of the adai helps in faster and better cooking of the adai as it is thicker than the dosa.
11. Once the adai is browned on one side, flip and cook on the other side.
12. Remove the adai and serve hot with ghee and jaggery.
Delicious and Nutritious Milagu Adai is ready!!
Happy Cooking !